Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about what tire to run next and whether to go to a D rated tires.

D rate will have softer sidewalls correct? Well since I am on 18" rims and les sidewalls, will D rated be too soft when airing down? I get my E rate d R/Ts down to 15psi and I get great traction without having the sidewalls collapse so much or as soft as maybe a d rated tire. I don't real hard core rock crawl and thinking maybe it better to stay E?

i know as a DD, the D rated will give a "better" ride, but I have zero complaints at 28psi now and my Jeeps feels and rides great.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answered your own question i think

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
maybe? Just wonder what others with more experience might think.
I KNOW I don't want F rated tires for sure.

Reactions: drmanhattan

·
Registered
138 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go back to a d rating after feeling how big a difference in strength there really is. I'm running 10 ply steel belted beef crawlers. They do vibe a bit, but aired down they are bulletproof. I had duratracs before and didnt have an issue but these are a different ball game. Last thing I worry about on a trail is my tires now

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I wouldn't go back to E's myself. I want the sidewall flex for both street ride and trail flex. If I had waited a couple of weeks, I would have ordered the C rated KM3 but when I ordered mine, 17" 37's were just released for pre-order and a c rated sidewall was not an option.

Honestly, something that will take out the sidewall of a D rated tire is going to take out the sidewall of an E rated tire.

I have taken out D sidewalls and E sidewalls, The root that took out my D sidewall a couple of months ago would have laughed at the E sidewall as it was taking it out.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't go back to E's myself. I want the sidewall flex for both street ride and trail flex. If I had waited a couple of weeks, I would have ordered the C rated KM3 but when I ordered mine, 17" 37's were just released for pre-order and a c rated sidewall was not an option.

Honestly, something that will take out the sidewall of a D rated tire is going to take out the sidewall of an E rated tire.

I have taken out D sidewalls and E sidewalls, The root that took out my D sidewall a couple of months ago would have laughed at the E sidewall as it was taking it out.

Not worried about a puncture. More on a 18, I have less sidewalls to flex. Maybe D will flex too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I use E's on my 8000# Cummins Ram.
I use D's on my JK.
I would not use E's on the JK, unless I was doing a lot of rock.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use E's on my 8000# Cummins Ram.
I use D's on my JK.
I would not use E's on the JK, unless I was doing a lot of rock.

Have a JKU and the ride seems fine. Not much rougher than the stock Sahara Bridgestones, really

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well the guys here are correct, Es are overkill. At the same time I was very happy with the fact that the sidewalls are definitely 2x at least thicker than my duratracs, which were not weaklings, I do not see anything going through my sidewall ever. It is BEEfy. But they are definitely heavy, maybe even too much for the jk, but km an excessive person

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I went to D's from E's and won't ever put E's on again. I'm going with C's on my LJ. I want the sidewall flex, both on road and off. And with an 18 and less sidewall?? It would be even more important to me to get as much as possible.

Reactions: jdinny and DIRT BOY

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to D's from E's and won't ever put E's on again. I'm going with C's on my LJ. I want the sidewall flex, both on road and off. And with an 18 and less sidewall?? It would be even more important to me to get as much as possible.
So more better on a 18"? I was trying to protect rims form damage.

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Agreed.
I would not use E's on my JK, way to stiff and heavy for me, but then again, I would not run 18's either.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed.

I would not use E's on my JK, way to stiff and heavy for me, but then again, I would not run 18's either.

Well looking back, might have gone 17’s . Stayed with Sahara 18’s and lime a little extra rim. No major rock crawling but can see NOW does limit some tires. Cant make switch now though.

Reactions: arielgs74

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
So more better on a 18"? I was trying to protect rims form damage.
Since you have less sidewall, a stiffer tire is going to flex less... So a tire that will flex a little more is going to give you better traction. Unless you are aired down to 5 psi with beadlocks, you're not going to be hitting the rim.

Reactions: jdinny and DIRT BOY

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since you have less sidewall, a stiffer tire is going to flex less... So a tire that will flex a little more is going to give you better traction. Unless you are aired down to 5 psi with beadlocks, you're not going to be hitting the rim.
Thanks. Only D rated I can really find is the BGS in 18's. 35's are small. Wondering if a 37 is smaller and similar weight by D30 axle upfront will be ok. I think they i what the sahara has up front. Getting new gears before tires but no lockers.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Thanks. Only D rated I can really find is the BGS in 18's. 35's are small. Wondering if a 37 is smaller and similar weight by D30 axle upfront will be ok. I think they i what the sahara has up front. Getting new gears before tires but no lockers.
Are you looking to stay in a hybrid or A/T?

Even though it's an E, have you considered the 305/70R18 Patagonia?

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Well sometimes you just come across things you can't pass up...

Onlinetires.com

A 305/70R18 Cooper STT Pro (fantastic tires) for $153/ea.

That would make my mind up INSTANTLY. And on the tall side for 35's...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
D and E Rated tires on 18" rims

Are you looking to stay in a hybrid or A/T?

Even though it's an E, have you considered the 305/70R18 Patagonia?

Hybrid for sure.

Patagonias are F rated and heavy my R/T. For that might stick with the R/T as I am happy

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well sometimes you just come across things you can't pass up...

Onlinetires.com

A 305/70R18 Cooper STT Pro (fantastic tires) for $153/ea.

That would make my mind up INSTANTLY. And on the tall side for 35's...

Wow!!! If I had room in my garage right now.
Even though my OCD and just mind wants 35x12.5 on the tire and not as wide, that is too hard to pass up.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Hybrid for sure.

Patagonias are F rated and heavy my R/T. For that might stick with the R/T as I am happy

Wow!!! If I had room in my garage right now.
Even though my OCD and just mind wants 35x12.5 on the tire and not as wide, that is too hard to pass up.
The Patagonia's in that size are actually E's...

And the 305/70 is taller than a 35x12.5.... I'd take a little height over a little width any day.

Good luck!

Reactions: DIRT BOY
1 - 20 of 51 Posts