Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any? The 1" eye to replace the factory bumper hooks. Anybody make them identical to the factory hook and installs like factory but has a 1" eye for a d-ring instead?

I want to keep the front bumper for now and would need to have a d-ring for use during double-line winching from a front receiver hitch.

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
There aren't any that bolt on for the factory bumper.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange someone has not made them. It would be so easy just to continue the factory steel hook all they way around into a loop to accomodate a d-ring.
I am sure plenty of JK owners with the factory hooks would be interested.
It just seems like a "no-brainer" because of the added safety it would provide in vehicle recovery.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do D-rings on the bumper rattle obnoxiously while driving? I heard that the other day and was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny. Thanks

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did buy a Curt front reciever hitch.
I also bought a Warn M8000 and the Warn Multi-Mount Carrier receiver.
But I would need the D-ring loop/eye for double-line winching back to the bumper with a snatch block.
That way I can reduce the load on the receiver hitch and spread some of the load to the bumper. Especially while doing off-angle winching on a reciever hitch winch.
The straight-line pull rating on the hitch is #9000lbs.
I should be safe on straight pulls without a snatch block as far as the load on the hitch. But I am more concerned about off-angle winching and the side load pressure on the receiver hitch and straight pulls that may require a snatch. In which case I would then want to use a snatch block back to the bumper to reduce the straight pull load being generated to ONLY the receiver hitch.
I would not feel safe hooking the cable back to the bumper on the factory hook , for fear of it coming loose.

Thanks for all the great input so far.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
If you can't find what your looking for then, you could consider adding gussets to the hitch to strengthen it. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would hook it to the hook. Obviously something called a hook can be hooked to. Are you worried it will somehow slip off the hook?
Yes
You know Murphy? From Murphy's Law?
The guy follows me around 24/7. If it can happen, it will happen.
Don't want to be sitting in the drivers seat when the cable and d-ring come through the windshield.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can't find what your looking for then, you could consider adding gussets to the hitch to strengthen it. Just a thought.
I agree, that is a good thought.
I would be limited to welding to the hitch only.
I wonder if that would be enough?
I do not want to "tamper" too much with the Lifetime Warranty I purchased from Chrysler.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Megafriday said:
Do D-rings on the bumper rattle obnoxiously while driving? I heard that the other day and was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny. Thanks
They make rubber inserts to keep them from rattleing around.

Red Bicycle part Mouth Bicycle handlebar Carabiner

EDIT: they come in various colors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts