Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
When I bought my rear bumper i got 2 for free. U can get them for $12 a piece. I personally love the way they look

·
Registered
33,540 Posts
They can always come in handy! I have the D-rings on my rear bumper and a hook in the receiver.

·
Registered
151 Posts
D-rings should not be welded to the bumper. Maybe their meaning 70 extra for places to attach d-rings. And 70 would be expensive for a couple of d-rings as well

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The reciever hitch D ring mount may not be nearly as strong as two mounts that attatch at the same point as where the bumper mounts to the frame.

Donn

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Lotta good advice in this thread, especially to not weld d-ring holders to your bumper. D-ring holders have to be through-welded which means the bar the d-ring is attached to passes entirely through the bumper and is welded on both sides. Welding hooks, D-rings, etc. only to the surface of a bumper is not strong enough and is really asking for trouble.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lotta good advice in this thread, especially to not weld d-ring holders to your bumper. D-ring holders have to be through-welded which means the bar the d-ring is attached to passes entirely through the bumper and is welded on both sides. Welding hooks, D-rings, etc. only to the surface of a bumper is not strong enough and is really asking for trouble.
Thanks guys, i wasnt planning on welding though. I just meant would it be better to get the bumper with the d rings on it even though I already have a d-ring receiver. It would save me $70 thats why im wondering! :wavey:

·
Registered
613 Posts
tcate23-WRANGLER said:
Thanks guys, i wasnt planning on welding though. I just meant would it be better to get the bumper with the d rings on it even though I already have a d-ring receiver. It would save me $70 thats why im wondering! :wavey:
D-rings aren't $70. I got 4 for $50. There around $10-13 a piece

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I recall reading that using the receiver hitch for this is only in light duty situations as its not made for excessive loads like seen during a vehicle recovery.

I could be misremembering.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
D-rings aren't $70. I got 4 for $50. There around $10-13 a piece
I'm not getting just the d-rings. Basically you can get the bumper with or w/o d-rings. If you get it with out it doesnt come with the mounts for them. Know what i mean?

·
Registered
613 Posts
tcate23-WRANGLER said:
I'm not getting just the d-rings. Basically you can get the bumper with or w/o d-rings. If you get it with out it doesnt come with the mounts for them. Know what i mean?
Oh okay. yeah D-Ring mounts on the actual bumper. Yeah the bumper cost more with the mounts. But personally I would still spend the $70. Mine have saved my life.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In order to answer a question, you have to actually read the whole thing. If I could qoute everyone in this thread right now, I would.

To the OP, get them. You will at some point be very glad you did.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahhhhh thanks guys :wavey: BTW-I'm looking at the Smittybilt classic rear bumper ONLY becuause im on a short after-christmas budget. My metal cloak front is already ordered. I was hoping the receiver would be enough so i could save the $70. Any other bumpers suggestions? I looked at LoD but they take way too long to get it to you...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I love my bumper. $240 I believe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
they ALWAYS come in handy.... I had built my bumpers with them front and rear...

Used them yesterday in Pyramid City Run... 32 rigs in all... what a blast!

yes.... we are using synthetic rope on the pull....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they ALWAYS come in handy.... I had built my bumpers with them front and rear...

Used them yesterday in Pyramid City Run... 32 rigs in all... what a blast!

yes.... we are using synthetic rope on the pull....
If i have them on the front, do i REALLY need them on the back?:hide:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
There WILL be times when you need to pull from one side or the other.. where a middle pull would get ugly.... You want the option....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts