Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have two Dana 30 front ends, the installed one is 3.73 and the unused one is 4.11 what would I have to do to transfer the guts over to the unused one to make it 3.73 and installable on my Sport? (2003 4.0L Dana 44 rear @ 3.73)

I will be upgrading my steering this summer but need to replace some stock gear right now. I will be cannibalizing the dead SE's D30 for the tie rod and ends, drag link and track bar. I could also steal the ball joints, too.

In other words...

If I have a very good D30 front end on one TJ, what should I harvest over to the other TJ that actually has a motor in it?

Are the SE brakes different than the Sport on a 2003?

I would take the whole axle but the gearing is different.

Alternatively, if I could swap the whole axle with the 4.11 gears, what would I need to regear my D44 to 4.11?

Not sure I want to do anything beyond getting rid of my steering shimmy with old, boring stock parts that happen to still be in very good condition.

But there are lots of possibilities in my situation, here...

Let the arguments commence! HAHAHA!!!

(Yes, I know, ditch the D30. Someday I will get a used Rubi front D44 and rebuild it. That is not the topic here and I will not discuss it. I want to know what I could do with stuff that is sitting out there right now, no more money spent until next month. I have to keep the lights on, you know! Damned Jeep is a costly addiction!)

:beerdrinking::beerdrinking::beerdrinking:

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Unless you have the tools and the know how to set up gears, and judging by your question, you most likely don't, it would be more costly than it's probably worth. Especially setting up used gears.

What is wrong with the axle that already has the 3.73's? Almost all other external parts will swap, unless one of them is pre 2000, (then rotors and unit bearing hubs could be slightly different) but they will still swap as long as you swap hubs and rotors together.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I am having a hard time understanding what you want to do.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
what tires are you running? Larger than 31's regear the rear, 31's or under regear the front.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2003 SE that has no motor but is in very good mechanical condition.

I have a 2003 Sport that runs great but needs a lot of attention. Right now it has a shimmy at 45 mph. I think one of the tie rod ends is shot, maybe two of them.

I want to steal the good steering gear from the SE and put it on the Sport.

After watching some videos of how simple replacing the tie rod ends is I will just buy new and be done with it. The only thing that seems difficult is getting the old ends off. The adjustment is very simple on this system. I can get it copse enough without assistance to get me to an alignment place.

I realize now that I was asking some pretty stupid questions due to my ignorance of how this stuff is done. Now I know, thanks to several very decent write-ups and YouTube videos. I will simply put in new ends and get new brake stuff all in one fell swoop.

So never mind. My questions were all convoluted because I was not really sure what to ask. Thanks for trying to help me, though, guys!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
^Glad you figured it out!

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts