Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daily street driver with occasional forest service road use. No wheeling. Should I consider beefing up my Dana 30 so it doesn’t bend?

I’m reading conflicting feedback here regarding the need for a street rig. Some say yes absolutely it will eventually explode with just street driving. Others say it’s fine without wheeling. Expert opinions?

2013 JKUS, AEV 2.5 lift, BFG 35s on after market wheels with 4.75 backspacing, 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
427 Posts
For me a no, run as is. That's light usage.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have been running my Dana 30 on my 2010 JKU for 4 years. it has a 3 1/2 inch lift, Mickey Thompson 315-70/17 ATZ. 3.73s and I do some moderate wheeling at least once a month. Most you will need are C-Gussets. For the street you won't even need those. I am very gentle on the skinny pedal. If you have not replaced the ball joints, get some good aftermarket ones like Teraflex. The Dana 30 is lightweight but it's also not made of glass. Use it , don't abuse and you will be just fine.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I sleeved and gusseted mine when I regeared.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
What would the cost be to c-gusset my front axel? I don’t have the experience or garage to do this myself.
I'm not sure. I had the shop that did my regear do it at the same time. I think they charged me 1 hour shop labor plus the parts...

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
What would the cost be to c-gusset my front axel? I don’t have the experience or garage to do this myself.
gussets are around 75 bucks, and a few hours labor. But with your wheeling style not even sure you need them. But when it comes time to replace ball joints, then maybe consider doing them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gussets are around 75 bucks, and a few hours labor. But with your wheeling style not even sure you need them. But when it comes time to replace ball joints, then maybe consider doing them.

Well the streets of Seattle suffer from years of neglect. It’s like driving in a third world country. I can’t help but think it’s putting lots of stress on my components just driving around town.

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
I think you're right on, a big pot hole on the highway will do as much damage as a slow moving rock trail. If you're running a heavy tire/wheel combo it's cheap insurance.

I'm a fan of the gussets, and at that point why not do truss :D <kinda kidding

I did mine when we replaced the ball joints, @SoDakSooner trussed his D30 when he replaced his gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts