Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this should be an easy one. Daughter's friend bought a 89 YJ. Very rough, but it was what he could afford. Rear end gear has stamped on it, D35488 39/8 428.

My daughter drove it before the rear driveshaft exploded and said it was geared way lower than hers with 4.11s. I suspect that stamp means 4.88.

So am I right?? It has 40 teeth.

Hoping they did both, but there was no driveshaft in the front, so I suspect they just did the back and left the front at 3.07s and that will be an extra expense for him.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure these are not stock. Front is 3.07. Rear is tagged 4.11, but it is no where near what my 93 is with 4.11 gears. I think it is closer to the 4.88 I mentioned earlier.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,909 Posts
Same Tranny in both???

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, both AX15s.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Just pull both covers a count the number of gear teeth on them and do the Math, very easy to do.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
40 teeth on the ring gear. Cant see the pinion gear to count them. Not sure how to do the math without both counts. We tried to spin the tire and driveshaft and it appears to be 5 to 1, so I have to assume 4.88 gears. D35488 appears to mean Dana 35, 4.88 gears. Personally i would never go that high in a stock 35 and he cant afford to match the front so I told him to find a used 3.07 D35 and run that til he can afford to put something better in there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ring gear should have the tooth numbers for the ring and pinion stamped on it, that said...

39 divided by 8 = 4.875 or 4.88.

You have 4.88's
Ah yes. exactly the answer I was looking for to confirm my suspicions. This poor kid now has to deal with that. He ordered a new lift kit last night to replace this hodge podge mess. Then he is picking up a stock 3.07 geared rear end for $50. Hopefully we can figure out this driveshaft that someone halfassed and make it all work. Get the stupid looking 3" body lift off. What a mess. Just glad that other than the windshield it is mostly rust free.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Please make Sure the front is 3.07 also. Sorry but you had me off when you said the ring gear was 40, glad you got it going your way now.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please make Sure the front is 3.07 also. Sorry but you had me off when you said the ring gear was 40, glad you got it going your way now.
It had to be 39 teeth. I think he miscounted. But either way, we found a set of 4.10s for front and rear for the grand price of ZERO dollars. My buddy said he would help him install them. So he should be good to go. Then sell the 4.88 gears and maybe recoup some of his money for having to have a new rear driveshaft built. The centering ball in the cardan joint is destroyed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts