Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This axle was rebuilt by a reputable off road shop, new gears, seals, bearings and an ARB installed. After replacing the d35 with it, it was blowing oil during the break in period. I just figured it was this that was causing it to blow oil. Well I pulled the cover to replace the oil and a new cover. I found only 1/2 a quart of oil came out. Everything looks good.
Now after put a quart of oil in it,a it's blowing oil out of the vent again.

Not sure if there is a quick fix or should i take it back to the shop who built it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It is an issue caused by the arb locker. The fix is to grind a groove in the inside of the housing to allow the oil to drain back and not pump out the vent tube. You should take it back to the shop and demand the fix they issue as it is part of arb installation.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Where's the fill plug on that cover? The oil level is supposed to be below where the axle tubes meet the pumpkin; maybe yours is just over filled and blowing out the excess.

Many aftermarket covers have the fill plug higher than the stock one, but people still pump oil in until it starts running out the fill hole.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It is an issue caused by the arb locker. The fix is to grind a groove in the inside of the housing to allow the oil to drain back and not pump out the vent tube. You should take it back to the shop and demand the fix they issue as it is part of arb installation.
X2...The ARB locker prevents the gear oil from draining back from the axle tubes. The shop should have ground a channel or drilled a relief hole as part of the install. Take it back.

See page 13, section 3.5 of the installation manual.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_ARB_install-review/2102114%20RD114.pdf

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
X2...The ARB locker prevents the gear oil from draining back from the axle tubes. The shop should have ground a channel or drilled a relief hole as part of the install. Take it back.

See page 13, section 3.5 of the installation manual.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_ARB_install-review/2102114%20RD114.pdf
X3. The fact that you only had 1/2 a quart of oil come out tells you the rest is stuck in the tubes and not draining out, or at least draining out very slowly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have expected the shop that has been installing ARB for many years would have known about this..

C.L.; When I had the stock cover it was filled to just below the fill plug. This new cover has a dip stick, which I matched the bottom of the stock cover for the fill line.

The consensus is to take it back. That's where we will go next.

Thanks for the replies. I post what happens next.

·
Registered
166 Posts
...side note and unrelated to your issue. You might have the shop check your rear pinion angle. If the rear drive shaft is double cardon, it should be pointed directly to the trasnfer case; your appears too low. It could be the angle of the (last) photo you posted.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I would have expected the shop that has been installing ARB for many years would have known about this..

C.L.; When I had the stock cover it was filled to just below the fill plug. This new cover has a dip stick, which I matched the bottom of the stock cover for the fill line.

The consensus is to take it back. That's where we will go next.

Thanks for the replies. I post what happens next.
ARB supposedly (from what I heard) came out with a fix for this, according to the ring and pinion shop that did mine a couple of years ago, so mine did the same thing, and they had to fix it....guess ARB didn't do anything or they used one that was before the fix, or the shop used that as an excuse for forgetting to do it. The shop that did mine has done mountains of them, and has a great reputation, but everyone makes mistakes sometimes. As long as they're willing to fix it, no big deal.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
A competent/experienced ARB installer would never have given you your Jeep back without the modification ARB requires to prevent this from happening. That fix has been around for years, it's nothing new.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to the shop about the issue. Will be addressing it Friday. While in there new wheel bearings and seals.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...side note and unrelated to your issue. You might have the shop check your rear pinion angle. If the rear drive shaft is double cardon, it should be pointed directly to the trasnfer case; your appears too low. It could be the angle of the (last) photo you posted.
You are correct. That was another thing i have to address. Yes it is a dbl Cardan joint shaft. Will have to lengthen the top arms a bit. Have not had any vibration issues so it was not at the top of the list yet.
:thumb:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Show them these pictures. This is what needs to be done. And while it's very prevalent when an ARB is installed, the problem occurs on non ARB axles too. The research I've done shows it as a engineering mistake in the design of some axles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts