Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished rotating my tires. While removing the rear passenger wheel, I noticed the inside of the rim was damp. After removing the wheel, I took a closer look, and it appears my axle (Dana 44) is leaking. There was a drip hanging from the bottom of the end of the axle. I then investigated a little more, and noticed that the drivers side, near the differential, was also a little damp. After doing a little searching online, this leads me to believe that the passenger side outer seal is leaking, and the drivers side inner seal is leaking. Is this a correct assumption?

I've got just under 25k miles on my jeep. I have a hard time believing that this should be leaking this soon. I just had it re-geared 5 months ago, and I'm curious if it's possible that something in the re-gearing process could have caused these leaks to develop.

Replacing the seals is something I've never done, but it looks like with some patience, and the help of a buddy, it's something I can handle.

Any ideas and or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PASSENGER SIDE:

DRIVERS SIDE:

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Looks like you are missing your axle vent hose. That might explain one leak.

Replacing the seals is something I've never done, but it looks like with some patience, and the help of a buddy, it's something I can handle.
It will help a lot if your buddy brings along a hydraulic press.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
The other end of the hose just needs to go up high so dirt and water do not get in it and thus get in your axle housing. Mine goes up into the frame rail above the driver side coil.

Do you know if when they regeared your axles they replaced the seals too?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Here is how to replace the seal in the axle... http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d44/d44-1.htm

So far as that missing vent hose goes, just look for a rubber hose hanging around up above the axle, that will be it. As said above, the other end of that hose ends up inside the driver's side rear corner inside the tub where the gas fill hose is.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, sure enough. I found the axle vent hose and reattached it. Half my worries are gone.

Now as far as the passenger side axle seal, how bad is it? The leak hasn't made it to the ground, just a couple drips on the wheel. Does it need to be replaced right away, or is it ok for me to continue driving it for a couple weeks until I get the parts and time?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts