Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
261 - 280 of 737 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Yea funny how build threads seem to go dead lol. Mine is all but 6ft under..
Ive notice you haven't been posting any updates. what's going on with yours? I am sure you can find something to do on it. I actually took some time to make a list of what needs done on mine last night. It will help me keep an eye on the little things. There are plenty of things that still need done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the best part about coming in to a build thread late is you can read the whole thing without waiting for an update. But it sucks when you come to the end of the thread :happyyes:. fun looking jeep.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
the best part about coming in to a build thread late is you can read the whole thing without waiting for an update. But it sucks when you come to the end of the thread :happyyes:. fun looking jeep.
Well, you got lucky I guess, because this one is far from done. Starting to get back into things so updates will be coming soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ive notice you haven't been posting any updates. what's going on with yours? I am sure you can find something to do on it. I actually took some time to make a list of what needs done on mine last night. It will help me keep an eye on the little things. There are plenty of things that still need done.
Yea I've lost interest in posting. I guess the new wore off. I've been chasing down coolant leaks, grounding issues and putting stuff back together but that isn't too exciting to post about.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Some little updates over the weekend.

Before

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Metal Steel

After some gussets

Bumper Auto part Steel Metal

Some brake line brackets i'm too cheap to buy them so I threw these together.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Rim Wheel

A little cardboard teaser of my new upper front shock mounts. I need a little more than 3" of up travel.

Auto part Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
It is right about 80", as best I can measure by myself. 35 x 12.50 on 10" wheel with 3.5" backspacing.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
I've been slowly working away at my list. I suppose I should post my list. Anyway, tranny lines repaired, power steering line replaced, electric fan temporarily wired, and new computer installed. It finally starts and runs.

I'm going to wire the fan into one of the unused relays in the PDC instead of the extra relay.

Now with the bad news. The power steering reservoir in leaking horribly. It gets worse...I have coolant in the oil. My dipstick isn't going all the way into the pan so it is possible that I have a little condensation in the tube, but it really doesn't look like i'll be that lucky. I need to drain the oil and see what I have going on. Then pull the pan to figure out my dipstick issue.

I thought I was almost there, but looks like a bit of a set back instead.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bummer about coolant in the oil. I hope it's not serious. I will admit I cringed at the thought of the Vo-Tech rebuilding your motor. Thought to myself you might be better off with out a rebuild. I have enjoyed your build, and again I hope it's not serious.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Yea...I should have known when they lost two head bolts and just put grade 5 bolts in their place. The freeze plug on the back of the block was leaking slightly too, but seems to have stopped.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Well I dropped the oil pan tonight and there is very little sign of water in there. See attached pic. I think I need to run it some more and see what I have.

Auto part Electric blue Metal

Thoughts? Could this be condensation?

Still cant figure out why I am having so much trouble with the dipstick. Can't see any obstruction from either end.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If it is condensation it will be clear water. Assuming you have antifreeze in the cooling system you should be able to tell from the color.

Sorry, I didn't go back to read the full thread, which engine are you using and having the dipstick issue with? I know on my SBC there was a tube pressed into the block that I originally forgot about and my dipstick did the same thing as you are describing.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
If it is condensation it will be clear water. Assuming you have antifreeze in the cooling system you should be able to tell from the color.

I ran the engine for about 10 minutes so whatever water was in there got mixed with the oil. The reason I am thinking it may be condensation is because it got cold here and down to about 40 in the shop. I put a heater under the front end because I only had water in the cooling system.

Sorry, I didn't go back to read the full thread, which engine are you using and having the dipstick issue with? I know on my SBC there was a tube pressed into the block that I originally forgot about and my dipstick did the same thing as you are describing.
I'm running a 5.2 out of a Grand Cherokee. My issue is in the tube itself. There doesn't appear to be any obstruction. The stick is just having trouble making the bends. I thought it was interesting that the tube runs through a guide in the pan. You can see it in the pic on the bottom.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have access to a radiator pressure tester, you could pressurize the system while the pan is off and see if any water shows up internally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Could it be possible that is not your original dip stick?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
That's a good thought with the pressure tester. The dip stick is out of a different 5.2 out of a 96 GC. I also compared it to a couple of dodge 5.2's and they were all the same.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Could the dipstick tube be bent or kinked some how causing a problem? I guess even with the pan off it is still not going in?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
The problem is definitely in the tube itself. I'm going to try and smooth the end of the stick a little more. I probably pushed a burr in the side of the tube and it is now causing the stick to hang up.

261 - 280 of 737 Posts