Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the wife driving the Jeep as well the question can up about ride: Does the Willy's ride like the Sahara? I guess I'm wondering if the suspension is different in the two. Keep in mind at some point if I get the Sahara, Rubicon or Willys wheels will go on it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So with the wife driving the Jeep as well the question can up about ride: Does the Willy's ride like the Sahara? I guess I'm wondering if the suspension is different in the two. Keep in mind at some point if I get the Sahara, Rubicon or Willys wheels will go on it.
Sahara is the trim you need. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have driven both, To me not much difference on the road, I have a 15 Willy's with 4 door springs 19/61s and Love the looks and ride.. Just test drive and see which you like the best? Both are nice rides. I found the better deal on the Willys and I wanted Black grill and the D44. Everyone has his/her own opinion.

·
Retired Moderator
100,556 Posts
For a DD, get the Sahara with the automatic!!!!!!!!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
If they all have the save wheels/tires, the Sahara would have just a slight advantage strictly due to the shocks.

If I may ask......why the demand for the Rubi/Willys wheels? Why not go for 32" or 33" Duratracs or Firestone Destination AT's, or something like that?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The sahara will ride better due to the tires and shocks.

shouldnt be much in it though. Buy on which gives you the looks or spec you want.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Agreed daily driver...Sahara. I test drove a wheeler before buying my sport and the difference on road is certainly noticeable. Off road the wheeler would be better equipped out the box though...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good point about the wheels... I could see moving to a different wheel. thought being it would mostly (99%) be a DD going bigger my be overkill (although look good). The ruby or willy wheels would be an inbetween.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may not have answered that correctly..... I don't like the rims on the Sahara. Changing out the tires would not be an option. It'll be nice if I can see the Sahara's as take offs on Ebay/Craigs.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
The Sahara shocks are the same as Willy and Rubicon....Only black. The springs are all different based upon the numbers assigned to the specific Jeep, not on trim level.
Jeep lists three different "suspensions" (which are basically just different shocks).

Standard for the Sport
Heavy Duty for the Sahara
Performance for the Rubicon

I agree that the springs are based on other factors.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I may not have answered that correctly..... I don't like the rims on the Sahara. Changing out the tires would not be an option. It'll be nice if I can see the Sahara's as take offs on Ebay/Craigs.
Unless you have a black or really dark color vehicle, the stock Sahara rims look awful in polished silver.....but they look amazing in black!

·
Registered
488 Posts
The tires are biggest factor that change the ride of the stock wrangler. The Sahara and the Sport will offer a more comfortable ride because the Rubicon has beefier tires. I'm personally just not a fan of the Sahara. I don't like side steps/running boards on a Wrangler. It's just my opinion, but the Wrangler is built for off road use so it should look the part. I prefer the look of beefier tires. If you need steps, I prefer rock sliders.

I have found that my duratracs offer an aggressive look, but behave nicely on the road. Also, I don't notice much "hum" unless the top is down. Even then it's mild and sound kinda cool. I also, found that the new "Steering Attenuator" made by "Performance Stability" made a very noticable difference in road handling. I recommend it to everyone regardless of model, tires, or lift/no lift especially if you are using your Wrangler as a daily driver. I think Chrysler should make the steering attenuator a standard factory add on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Put on Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks. I put them on my 12 Sport 2dr. 3 years ago and it made a big difference in the ride quality. I run them on setting #2 just got back from a 4,000 mile trip and the ride was good.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I know someone who did the Rancho 9000 mod on a moab and says they are really good.

You can think about the Sahara X and the Freedom edition too. I personally prefer the freedom over the x.

On the standard Sahara you have the option of the 2 wheel styles, some people have taken the standard 5 spokes had them coated black and they look quite different. There are also the old sahara 5 spokes that go very cheap on ebay.

I find the Bridgestones on my 14 Sahara unlimited to be really good on road, in the snow and also off road to the point of having reasonable expectations. I have followed duratracs all over the local (to chicago) offroad parks and only suffer climbing out of ruts. They also have the same OD as the rubicon tires.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Ride:
My 08 Sahara bought w/15000 on the clock. Dualers/18" spokes. I ran it to 25000 & put on 10 ply duratrak clones Kelly. Perfect.

Ride/handling good until about 45000+......at 50000 put on buddies take off otherwise new 2011 Rubi shocks. Horrible most of the time, took 'em off & installed Rancho 9000s. Perfect and find the adjustable feature quite useful.

Count me for one who prefers the OEM 18" alloy spokes to all the others. Fits my khaki/dark forest green.

Oddly enough, when I replace the 10ply Kellys with the same size Open Country Toyos the ride doesn't seem to change but the MPG goes up a notch.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
I have driven both, To me not much difference on the road, I have a 15 Willy's with 4 door springs 19/61s and Love the looks and ride.. Just test drive and see which you like the best? Both are nice rides. I found the better deal on the Willys and I wanted Black grill and the D44. Everyone has his/her own opinion.
D44? You mean in the rear. WW doesn't have a D44 out front.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts