Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 2014 JKU Rubicon X from my local dealership. It arrived and I picked it up last Tuesday. In a few hours after driving it off the lot I found three pretty significant dents on the windshield frame on top of the windshield. I don't believe that this was actual shipping damage because there was no damage to the paint. While the dealership has agreed to fix it, they want to just bondo the places and re-paint. I don't feel that this is an appropriate repair for a brand new vehicle. I worked for an auto manufacturing plant. There we would have never use bondo for anything. I feel that the part should either be replaced or pushed back out by working the metal. I hate to spend over $40k on a vehicle that is going to have bondo in it right from the start. Am I being unrealistic? Is there someone at Jeep that I could talk with? Has anyone else ever had an issue like this?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I agree with you on it not being acceptable and if I were you, I would approach the dealership with the fact that the dents could possibly interfere with the integrity of the windshield if you happened to have a rollover in the future. Simply applying bondo will not bring back the solid integrity of the windshield. This is a safety concern in the long run. If they refuse and don't see that as being a possibility, I would pass along the name of your attorney for their future reference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree not being acceptable. The attorney scare tactic is weak at best. Jeep/Chrysler corporate is a better number in my opinion, and will yield positive results at a cheaper price. A well written letter by yourself to people high in the appropriate food chain at a Fortune 500 corporation can be very helpful...jmo

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think you guys would all be quite alarmed by the amount of body filler your brand new vehicles have in them when you get them. It's not uncommon for a body repair to be done on a new vehicle.....personally as long as the work is done correctly and they guarantee the body work for a long time I wouldn't have any issues with it. I bet if you sanded your whole Jeep down that wouldn't be the only body repair on it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think you guys would all be quite alarmed by the amount of body filler your brand new vehicles have in them when you get them. It's not uncommon for a body repair to be done on a new vehicle.....personally as long as the work is done correctly and they guarantee the body work for a long time I wouldn't have any issues with it. I bet if you sanded your whole Jeep down that wouldn't be the only body repair on it.
Seems a bit odd, I can't imagine the factory would accept having to pull a body off the line to have filler and repaint done. Or are you suggesting that it's not uncommon for vehicles to show up at the dealer and have to have body work done before selling? I can't imagine the dealers would stand for that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I picked up my 2014 Rubicon X, 2 door on May, 1 2014. On May, 2 2014 I notice 3 to 4 dents pushing out thru the body around the fuel door. One dent was so significant it split the paint. On May, 3 2014 I was leaving for work and both the drivers and passengers side of the vehicle had about 1 to 2 inches of water filling the floor mats.

The quality control at Chrysler / Jeep SUCKS HAIRY BALLS!! How can you ship something like that is beyond belief. No way the turds on the line who assembled my jeep could of missed the dents, the leaks maybe, but not the dents. My 1976 CJ-5 had a shitty $500 bestop that didn't leak like this thing. My 2002 was also leak free. Worst part about the leaks is that this has been a problem for YEARS! Please spare me the you bought an off road vehicle live with it shit

Currently at stealership being fix.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I ordered a 2014 JKU Rubicon X from my local dealership. It arrived and I picked it up last Tuesday. In a few hours after driving it off the lot I found three pretty significant dents on the windshield frame on top of the windshield. I don't believe that this was actual shipping damage because there was no damage to the paint. While the dealership has agreed to fix it, they want to just bondo the places and re-paint. I don't feel that this is an appropriate repair for a brand new vehicle. I worked for an auto manufacturing plant. There we would have never use bondo for anything. I feel that the part should either be replaced or pushed back out by working the metal. I hate to spend over $40k on a vehicle that is going to have bondo in it right from the start. Am I being unrealistic? Is there someone at Jeep that I could talk with? Has anyone else ever had an issue like this?
You can accsess behind those dents by removing the trim, so with that said they should be able to use a paintless dent repair method.

Bondo - avoid at all cost

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
This.

I've stripped a few factory paint jobs in the past and it's amazing....

Paintless dent repair only works on very minor, small dents such as a very mild hail hit or door ding. If there's a crease at all of if the metal was stretched, other methods are used.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
This.

I've stripped a few factory paint jobs in the past and it's amazing....

Paintless dent repair only works on very minor, small dents such as a very mild hail hit or door ding. If there's a crease at all of if the metal was stretched, other methods are used.

I am guessing some salesman who never thouched a jeep before opened the hood for a demo and let it slam back into the winshield....

Iam betting it can be done with a dentless method.

I have seen the paint line at a GM plant once....if you have bondo on a new off the lot vehicle...it was done at the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts