Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg So with 1300 miles on my new JKUR, I smacked a deer on the way to work. I got lucky, minimal damage. The deer didn't make it.

Here's the question. The body shop has to order a new grill. I asked them to order me a Willys grill because I like the black look.

They said the willys grill is on a month long back order, but they have to pait all the grills anyway, so they could just order a regular grill and paint it black.

So other than color, is there a difference between a willys grill and a regular grill?

And what are your suggestions on painting a stock grill, semi-gloss, gloss, satin, or flat black.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm already stuck with a $500 deductible, I'm trying not to come out of pocket any more than I have. I'd rather get the body shop to paint it because then it will be covered under warranty if it starts to peel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.
Can't help with grill question but can sympathize with the deer stike.
15 hardrock a couple of months old with 1700 miles it got from the top of the hood in front of the latch to the drivers door. $4000 all new parts good as new. Really sucks though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Bueno. It looks like I'm only up to 2K in damage. It could have been a lot, lot worse. Been driving in the South for 25 years. Move to Virginia and hit a deer. I'do go back to Texas if I could!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I full width steel bumper with bull bar will help with that issue.
The Bambi Basher!

Sorry to hear about the deer hit. Been there also with a brand new Tahoe. 3 grand in plastic parts replaced there.

Glad you are not hurt. They make new deer everyday.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a WW, the black grill is plastic. If the standard grill is metal I'd go that route and have it painted black.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have a WW, the black grill is plastic. If the standard grill is metal I'd go that route and have it painted black.
they are all plastic. The body shop needs to just paint a grill gloss black and pretty sure that's what the willys have. Same grill as a black jeep comes with. Add a black jeep logo and that's all it is man. They are all over eBay btw

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Standard grill is plastic too.

A full length steel bumper is in the plan. One problem with a full width steel is that it can get bent back into a tire, and then you are stuck. I saw it happen once, but that guy hit a cow.

At least with the stock plastic, I was able to pull it back off the tire and drive home.

·
Registered
673 Posts
they are all plastic. The body shop needs to just paint a grill gloss black and pretty sure that's what the willys have. Same grill as a black jeep comes with. Add a black jeep logo and that's all it is man. They are all over eBay btw
If they're all plastic, then the WW grill may be a good way to go. It's black plastic, not painted, so it won't chip like a painted grill might.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Now had you loaded up the deer and taken it to the house and processed it into steaks and burgers and sausage, you would have paid for a good portion of your repairs with quality venison products.

Glad you and your Jeep survived the ordeal. My wife nearly retired an eclipse three years ago by T Boning a fairly large deer at night. Heavily damaged vehicle to say the least..

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Standard grill is plastic too. A full length steel bumper is in the plan. One problem with a full width steel is that it can get bent back into a tire, and then you are stuck. I saw it happen once, but that guy hit a cow. At least with the stock plastic, I was able to pull it back off the tire and drive home.

You just need to make sure you get a quality bumper. Not just one that has those little end pipes. It will take a lot more then hitting an animal to bend bumpers like AEV, Warn, ARB, Hansen.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm convinced my WILLYS front grille is not painted glossy black but that the plastic is actually formed with an integral glossy black plastic gel coat. Bugs etch the less durable finish on the WILLYS grille. I didn't have this problem with my bright silver 2012 JK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm convinced my WILLYS front grille is not painted glossy black but that the plastic is actually formed with an integral glossy black plastic gel coat. Bugs etch the less durable finish on the WILLYS grille. I didn't have this problem with my bright silver 2012 JK.
Good to know!

As far as butchering Bambi, I was already running late for work and didn't want to miss my train. I went back and made sure she was dead, drug her into the median so no one else would hit her and screw up their ride.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had my Willys grill out to put slats in the slots. It is black straight through. Moreover, it flexes and bends just carrying it around. It feels like the disposable food storage Gladware. I cannot imagine painting it and having any hope of the paint staying on it. Are we sure they use the same plastic for the paintable and the gloss versions?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I took the Gloss black grille off my Willys ,and got a white one to match my jeep off ebuy, I did not care for the gloss black it did not match the flat black bumpers, if I was to paint it i would go with a flat color probably argent.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I took the Gloss black grille off my Willys ,and got a white one to match my jeep off ebuy, I did not care for the gloss black it did not match the flat black bumpers, if I was to paint it i would go with a flat color probably argent.
You know, if you still have the gloss one sitting around, maybe you could work something out with the OP...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts