Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo I assume this has happened to many of you I saw some very old threads on this. My Gascap light and Checkengine light come on Immediately after startup....... Changed cap didnt work....But i must tell you all that this started the minute I fired up after replacing my tranny....... Some of you may remember that fiasco.....anyway.......I have checked the easy to see stuff and taped up one of the evap lines we lightly kinked during the trans removal/install......cant believe it would be that...could be though. What im wondering is if someone can point me in the direction of a good schematic of the system

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, here is what's happening, the purge solenoid located next to the battery, and/or the esim located next to the evap canister are sending this code. I changed both. First disconnect the positive on the battery and replace the purge solenoid, it takes less than 5 minutes and cost less than $20 at Amazon. Reconnect the battery, reset your tripmeter, and if the code doesn't come back after 100 miles you are good, if it does, replace the esim, it takes less than 10 minutes, and cost less than $40 at Amazon, disconnect the positive on the battery crawl under on the driver side, feet towards the front of the vehicle, it is connected to the evap canister, to a pigtail, and a hose, youtube has video showing how to disconnect the esim from the canister, save the rubber seal, or buy a new one, less than $10 at Amazon. Reconnect the battery, you are set to go.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Ok, here is what's happening, the purge solenoid located next to the battery, and/or the esim located next to the evap canister are sending this code. I changed both. First disconnect the positive on the battery and replace the purge solenoid, it takes less than 5 minutes and cost less than $20 at Amazon. Reconnect the battery, reset your tripmeter, and if the code doesn't come back after 100 miles you are good, if it does, replace the esim, it takes less than 10 minutes, and cost less than $40 at Amazon, disconnect the positive on the battery crawl under on the driver side, feet towards the front of the vehicle, it is connected to the evap canister, to a pigtail, and a hose, youtube has video showing how to disconnect the esim from the canister, save the rubber seal, or buy a new one, less than $10 at Amazon. Reconnect the battery, you are set to go.
As long as your lines look good from the tranny install and nothing is pulled apart/cracked/broken I would do above, these parts go bad anyway and you can do them without much time hassle or expense. If still an issue refer to that long older thread. Chances are you will be good. If not a smoke test will determine the leak quickly and most likely something it will be something damaged when you did the transmission removal/install. I ordered genuine mopar parts for mine on line, much less than a dealer, no worries then with aftermarket parts that could be an issue. Good luck you will find and fix it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys much. I didn't want to just start throwing parts at it without knowing........ Awesome thanks.......

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys sooo far it was the purge solenoid located next to the battery. Did what Phil-2007JK said.... Disconnected battery, changed it out reconnected and (cleand terminals why we were there) So far after 50 miles so far nothing and it was coming on the second I started the rig up then a few seconds later the light would come on.........soooo fingers crossed Thanks much Phil-2007JK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts