Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsed around and noticed others are having the same squeak or creek issue as I am with my jeep.

I've brought it to the dealer once and they couldn't "replicate" the issue. I used to do this in the summer when I was warm, but now it seems to do it all the tiem after about 10 minutes of driving.

Is this what others are experiencing, anyone had it repaired without the use of lubricants ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
2014 does the same thing. It was minor compared with the seat suspension squeak that was worsened after the dealer tech 'lubricated' it. Or compared with the rattle on the passenger side dash board. Or compared with the failed TIPM that caused passenger side headlight to blink and dash lights to be flaky. Or the engine tick that is resulting in the LH cylinder head being replaced... I am still deciding whether or not to keep this junk pile. On a positive note, it is still fun to drive when it is in my possession and it does not leak rain water like my 2012 did after several sessions at the dealer for seal replacements.

Sounds like a bushing needs to be replaced in the pedal pivot or something in the master cylinder seals. My guess is dust has infiltrated some seal or bushing. It is really annoying when a dealer cannot "find" the problem that is readily apparent. Take your video files to the service manager at the dealership and insist on getting the problem corrected (IMO).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeeeeez lol that's a lot of issues .. I don't have any of those, my 2013 has been good to me, I've had one leak at the top mid joint of the roof, water leaked in and ended up in the front passenger foot well, that was resolved, and never had water leak in over the dash as some others have said before.

My only issue is this stupid brake pedal .. its definitely extremely annoying, mostly because I can feel it on the bottom of my foot and makes it feel like my foots asleep when I'm in stop and go traffic. My oil change is due soon so when I go i'll complain about It again,

as well as the rush on one of my rims near the center cap ... that just started to happen, apparently its still under warranty.

2014 does the same thing. It was minor compared with the seat suspension squeak that was worsened after the dealer tech 'lubricated' it. Or compared with the rattle on the passenger side dash board. Or compared with the failed TIPM that caused passenger side headlight to blink and dash lights to be flaky. Or the engine tick that is resulting in the LH cylinder head being replaced... I am still deciding whether or not to keep this junk pile. On a positive note, it is still fun to drive when it is in my possession and it does not leak rain water like my 2012 did after several sessions at the dealer for seal replacements.

Sounds like a bushing needs to be replaced in the pedal pivot or something in the master cylinder seals. My guess is dust has infiltrated some seal or bushing. It is really annoying when a dealer cannot "find" the problem that is readily apparent. Take your video files to the service manager at the dealership and insist on getting the problem corrected (IMO).

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is a lot of issues. I have never owned a vehicle that has had this many real quality problems. Well, maybe a couple from the early 80's were comparable, so the better statement is no modern vehicles have been this poor. Like I indicated, I can't decide whether to get rid of this JK or hope the issues are resolved by repair.
Part of me thinks that I could not possibly get three JK's with problems, however, I did not think two could be problematic either. That said, I am not sure what would replace my JK and still be as much fun. Despite all of the poor quality, handling, and other nuisances, JK's are still fun toys.
What else could handle as poorly, have a poor stereo, leak dust, squeak, rattle, and still generate owner loyalty?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just took my 2015 to the stealership yesterday. Have already been there once and they just greased it. That lasted about 2 days. Yesterday I talked to the owner of the place and they have ordered a new brake master cylinder for me under warranty. I recorded the sound on my phone since of course it would never do it while I was there, told him I saw alot on the forum with the same issue (they love that). The price on the ticket without warranty was $178. Should be here in 2 days. Will follow up with result.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've experienced pedal rattles, but not yet a squeak. Could certainly be a slave/master cylinder issue, which my last vehicle had. That was such an annoying squeak every time the clutch pedal was depressed. The only noise I have, since nearly the beginning, is what I assume to be plastic rubbing together somewhere in the lower dash. At times, it drives me insane!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem on my 12. I pulled the boot down around the brake piston and lubed the crap out of it with white lithium Grease. Mine has been squeak free for 6 months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just took my 2015 to the stealership yesterday. Have already been there once and they just greased it. That lasted about 2 days. Yesterday I talked to the owner of the place and they have ordered a new brake master cylinder for me under warranty. I recorded the sound on my phone since of course it would never do it while I was there, told him I saw alot on the forum with the same issue (they love that). The price on the ticket without warranty was $178. Should be here in 2 days. Will follow up with result.
Did this work?

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Could Wilbcol please indicate where he did the fix, as I cannot locate a diagram indicating where he is refering to "boot down around the brake piston"?
Almost all disc brake caliper pistons (cylinders that push the inner brake pads against the rotor) have a boot over them. It sounds like @Wilbcol stuffed white lithium grease into the boots a bit at one or more calipers.

I don't recommend this solution; there are other brake anti-squeal products. Be careful with any grease around braking surfaces.

In the random brake caliper example (not a JK, but a good representation) below, the piston boot is the large black ring around the center cylinder. It's folded up inside the chamber in this photo, but extends outward with the piston as it is pushed out by your brake fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Almost all disc brake caliper pistons (cylinders that push the inner brake pads against the rotor) have a boot over them. It sounds like @Wilbcol stuffed white lithium grease into the boots a bit at one or more calipers.

I don't recommend this solution; there are other brake anti-squeal products. Be careful with any grease around braking surfaces.

In the random brake caliper example (not a JK, but a good representation) below, the piston boot is the large black ring around the center cylinder. It's folded up inside the chamber in this photo, but extends outward with the piston as it is pushed out by your brake fluid.
Its where the brake rod goes through the firewall there is a rubber boot covering the mechanism on the inside.. Look inside your vehicle up and behind the brake pedal. There is a shaft that goes through the firewall into the brake booster.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Its where the brake rod goes through the firewall there is a rubber boot covering the mechanism on the inside.. Look inside your vehicle up and behind the brake pedal. There is a shaft that goes through the firewall into the brake booster.
Ahh, thanks for correcting my attempt to help! I'm glad to hear I was way off and someone wasn't actually lubricating their brake caliper pistons. I was also wondering how those could be responsible for passenger compartment brake pedal squeaks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts