Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I popped my cherry this morning. There is a small part of me that knew there was a chance of showers but I also knew that this afternoon is supposed to be nice so guess what trumped.

No top, no doors, moderate rain.

In hindsight, I can say this. The Spiderweb shade did a surprisingly good job of keeping me dry in a drizzle. its only once they became completely saturated that I started to feel the rain. Luckily, I did have the sense to bring along the freedom panels and I was able to pull over into a gas station and install those just as the rain really started coming down. Truthfully, the amount of rain that gets pulled back into the cab from behind is staggering when your on the move.

In the end, I made it to work relatively dry but looking awfully foolish. Just thought I would share with some people who would understand and not judge me like my awesome (sarcastic) co-workers lol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happens to the best of us! Luckily I've never been caught in a huge downpour :) I put my top back on last night cause I know that system is coming our way today lol. The looks you get from other drivers are priceless!!
I have to confess, I did see the front coming in on the news but took a chance as it wasn't supposed to really come down until around 7 by which point I should already be in the parking garage. Oh well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
NW Houston here. I regretfully put my top back on last night after two days of glorious weather. I was debating pulling it all back off again after work, but I don't know if I want to go through the effort before making the drive out to San Antonio this weekend.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Austin area here (East Tx originally). two things to remember:
Texas weather is unpredictable and don't trust the weather report.
That is an advantage of a soft top, being able to pull over and put the top back up.
I use to put around 14k miles on a motorcycle a year going back and forth to work, weather man was wrong quite a bit. Slicker suit is a good thing to keep with you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm about 2 hours SW of you. We were only supposed to get rain for about an hour in the early AM today. But, I decided to drive the XJ to work today to be safe. The JK was in the garage with the freedom panels off. That was a good call because it rained more than predicted.

Came home at lunch today and drove the JK back to work since the rain was over. Well, about 4:00 it started raining again. Luckily, we have a large warehouse area at the office where I can pull in. This was the closest call I've had yet. I'm planning on taking the entire top off this weekend so it is just a matter of time before I get caught in a downpour.

For what it's worth, it turned cold down here tonight. If you have a long drive in the morning, you might want to dress warm because the cold is probably headed your way. :)

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
yep. suppose to be around 49 in the morning here in Houston. If you have your top off, might want to grab a jacket.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gotta love Texas weather! I went with a soft top this time around and hope to find myself with the top down more than I did in my hard top JKU.

·
Registered
200 Posts
yep. suppose to be around 49 in the morning here in Houston. If you have your top off, might want to grab a jacket.
you Texans make me laugh... Here in Virginia, 49 feels warm! Of course, we can experience all four seasons in one day as well.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm in Dallas, and about 4 years ago we had storm with baseball size hail. I will never forget the looks I got on that ride home with no doors or a top. I was cold today and it was 51 this morning, but it was worth the 70 degree drive home.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hah another Houstonian who has gotten caught with their...top down. Yep, add me to that list. I'm anal about checking forecasts and radar now before I even think about venturing out. Am installing a hard top lift next week to make this a little easier on me.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Hah another Houstonian who has gotten caught with their...top down. Yep, add me to that list. I'm anal about checking forecasts and radar now before I even think about venturing out. Am installing a hard top lift next week to make this a little easier on me.
:wavey: Long time, no type!

·
Registered
444 Posts
you Texans make me laugh... Here in Virginia, 49 feels warm! Of course, we can experience all four seasons in one day as well.....
49* ain't bad until you put high humidity with it. I lived in New England for few years, and 49* would be a nice day. But 49* with 75+ humidity is a little chilly.
Summer is the same way, dry and hot is not too bad. But add that humidity to it and it's miserable.... and what is "four seasons"? We have two: the "not so hot season" and the "can't wait for the not so hot season". LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had the freedom tops off and the heater on with a jacket during the morning 6am 290 commute. It was chilly :)

hey its really nice in houston today!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts