Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my Jeep is fixing to part me and my money...

Last year, I bought a 2012 JKU Altitude with some of the options - leather, heated seats, nav, both brake and gas pedals. It was lifted some and had 35 inch Mickey Thompson Deegan 38s on 18 inch aftermarket rims.

The lift looked to be somewhat generic build as the dealer had no idea what it was. After crawling under and around it, I am guessing something of a 2.5 inch lift. The shocks are nice FOX shocks though, and so I thought it had everything I was looking for in a Jeep - at least to start with.

In the last six months, I have added the following to it, in preparation for doing some easy to moderate off roading.

• Barricade HD Trail Force front and rear bumpers for when I need to be pulled out
  • JW Speaker fog lights and KC Slimline bull bar lights
  • Rough Country 50 inch light bar to see by when I am lost
  • Barricade 9500 winch for when I need to be pulled out and don't have any friends
  • Hopefully enough recovery gear to get back to blacktop
  • CB radio to tell others I need to be pulled out

Well, that is when I noticed the front suspension starting to sag, and of course I am thinking - crap, there goes my money. So here is what I have scheduled for next month, as I am ready to put a solid underpinning under it for wheeling.
  • 3 inch Teraflex lift with all 8 adjustable CA and adjustable track bracket
  • Progressive speed bump kit, front and rear
  • Limit straps, just because I wanted to see what they really do

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a picture the day I brought it home.

Attachments

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Man I absolutely love that color.And yes,owning a Jeep and the dwindling of funds go hand in hand.But hey,gotta enjoy life.Have fun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got the Jeep back after having the Teraflex 3 inch lift installed. I went with the following for phase 1.

• 3" Teraflex lift kit w/ 8 adjustable arms & trackbar
  • Teraflex bump stops
  • Teraflex steering damper
  • Draglink flip kit
  • I already had Fox 2.0 shocks, so I just reused them.

Previously, I had a Rough Country budget build that had the bottom lip of the front fender at just under 39" from ground and the rear one at 40". After this lift, the front is now 42".

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Agreed, beautiful jeep. They need to bring back this color too, or some sort of candy apple red.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am really liking the Teraflex speed bumps I had installed last month. They really do smooth out the bottoming and make for a nice comfortable wheeling experience.

:beerdrinking:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having to pick up a few new items after wheeling a bit this weekend...

I stuffed the wheel up pretty good on some creek bed and bent the sway bar disconnect, which as stored on the disconnected pin that mounts up and out of the way. Bent it just enough to make it very difficult to get on and re-pin. I ordered a new set of JKS disconnects, so I can simply remove them completely when wheeling.

I also ordered a new set of LoD rock sliders, as I almost taco'd my stock step rail on a rock. Better to have $600 of insurance to keep me from bashing in the lower seam and panels.

It never ends, does it????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
pkirkes... I feel ya! If only these mods cost $100's rather than $1000's.... I'm up grading my suspension next week... hoping it's worth the money.

Great build and thread! Love the color of your rig!
Jase

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The LoD rock sliders came in today. WoW! They were packed in a big box with plywood ends and each slider was bolted down to the 2x4 box frame. They were in perfect condition and are really sturdy.

First item? Had to drill and tap more than a few new bolt holes in the frame on each side. 2 of the 10 bolts per side had an existing frame hole to mount into, the remaining had to be drilled. As I don't have a drill that powerful and a tap set, I just let the local shop handle it.

Not sure what do do about the pinch seam to make it less ugly. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Added the sPOD to my jeep this month. I used the MetalCloak mount because I was going to also add the ARB compressor with MetalCloak mount and wanted them to match.

The install was straightforward and I had the overhead switch package with air compressor gauge. When I put my order in, I miss-ordered something and they immediately called me and walked me through all the things I wanted, but didn't put into the order correctly. They were courteous and very helpful.

:iamhappy:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
haha. I came from the import scene (euro/japan), and have spent a lot of $$ throughout the years on modding those cars. I wanted a change of scenery since I got tired of spending $$ on mods. I didn't know anything about jeeps since I first purchased my first JK in 2012... I should've kept the imports if I wanted to save money.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I'm sure you covered the pinch seam by now but if you haven't just paint it black. I used plastidip on mine it has held up well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure you covered the pinch seam by now but if you haven't just paint it black. I used plastidip on mine it has held up well.
I really do need to do something with that pinch seam. Black paint might just be the way to go. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

kind of just makes the area behind the slider disappear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Installed the ARB twin air compressor and couldn't be happier. I went with the MetalCloak mount and that thing is well constructed and looks great.

Added on the wiring harness for the sPOD and it was really worth it. A simple connector replaces the complicated wiring harness and just plug-and-play.

Lastly, I wanted to connect my sPOD air gauge and a plumb a remote quick disconnect fitting to the front bumper. I found out that Rock Your 4X4 sells a small kit that does exactly what I needed and they were nice to deal with.

Here are pics of the final product.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Build looks great!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Diff Cover Envy

Just finished swapping out the stock diff covers, front and rear, with Teraflex replacements. Thick and ready for rocks.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts