Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, In midst of frame replacement/frame-off resto on 97 TJ. Finally turned corner from disassembly and prep/coating new frame to reassembly. Replaced D30 inner seals, inspected innards - looks good. Figured while I have it on the bench I'd add outer seals - keep crud outta the tube. I bought: Ten Factory MG21102 Red Dana Axle Tube Seal, Pair (30/44) Added a bit of lube to the outer rubber of the seal, and a bit to inner surface of the "long side" tube, and pounded it in with a hammer. easy/done. For the short tube, I've beat on it much harder - still ~1/2" away from seating. FUD sets in. If I pound it all the way in, and there's an issue, it'll be a Bitch to get out (sawsall?), but if it works - done. continue w/rear axle, brakes, new suspension, and on we go. Does axle tube ID vary from side to side? Or perhaps rust build-up is the culprit? Or just suck it up buttercup, and beat that sucker in there?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Id simply leave the outer seals off. They are going to do anything meaningful. Keep the plastic ones on the shafts and call it a day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tworley...I considered that, but was so much goop in there when I disassembled...figured I'd just keep that crud out. Probably could have done without tho. Now that they're about 80% in place, might just beat that last one in and see what happens. Cheers

·
Registered
412 Posts
Any way to back it out using that last exposed bit? I'd wire wheel in the inner tube wall on a drill and retry. Otherwise I'd beat it in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DougRz...I'm thinking the same thing...I will try backing it out this Saturday. If it feels like I can get it out without damage, I will...then either wire wheel on drill (if I can find one small enough) or maybe one of those cylinder honing things on a drill. And yeah, if it feels like I'll damage it, I'll use some "percussive maintenance" to get that last 1/2" or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts