Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a pinion bearing go so tore down and replaced all bearing and races. Pinion was quite loose.

Stuck with the original shims. I have to grab a new dial indicator tomorrow as mine seems to no longer read correctly. I will check the backlash then.

Have a quick question. Since it is a reverse cut gear it which side are the drive and coast sides? Are they reversed?

This is the pattern I am seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Drive side is the more vertical side. Coast side is the more angled side. That's true on all gear sets regardless of rotation. And looking at that pattern you need more backlash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drive side is the more vertical side. Coast side is the more angled side. That's true on all gear sets regardless of rotation. And looking at that pattern you need more backlash.

Thanks. I got a little carried away with the backlash and decreased it too much. Pinion height should be okay as all changed out were the bearings.

What is acceptable for used gears? If I recall spec is .005-.008. I am assuming it would be different for gears already worn in.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Thanks. I got a little carried away with the backlash and decreased it too much. Pinion height should be okay as all changed out were the bearings.

What is acceptable for used gears? If I recall spec is .005-.008. I am assuming it would be different for gears already worn in.

I don't know for sure when it comes to putting gears back in. I've only ever done new gears.

My gut tells me that you should either: 1) get it to spec and call it good; or 2) return it to whatever backlash it had when things came apart, assuming you measured it first.

I'm sure someone else around here knows what the real answer should be.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put back together with original shims. Backlash right at .008.

Coast side seem a little too close to the toe but I cannot increase backlash any more.

From the Dana literature I read this is okay for used gears.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Did you measure BL prior to teardown? I bet it was higher than 8 thou. Looks like the pinion depth is good with both coast and drive favoring toe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you measure BL prior to teardown? I bet it was higher than 8 thou. Looks like the pinion depth is good with both coast and drive favoring toe.

Bearing were too far gone for check the backlash. But checked my notes. I swapped the carrier shims so the backlash would have been greater before.

Think I will leave it like this as looks half decent.

Going to these next year anyway. Just wanted to get back and hit a few trails before winter.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I would have slid maybe .01 or .02 or so over on the carrier shims to get a hint more backlash and a more centered pattern. But you're near enough to the ballpark, especially if you intend to replace them within a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts