Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a new ring and pinion installed approximately 700 miles ago. Wheeled a bit today and after switching back to 2wd have a groan/howl from the front axle. If I switch back into 4 hi while driving everything is quiet. Back to 2wd and the howl returns.

Taking back to the shop that did the work under warranty soon. I know it's hard to diagnose on the internet without hearing but any guesses why there's no noise when in 4hi but a howl when no torque on the front axle? 4.88 ratio.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Sounds to me like PINION BACKLASH/crush washer-

In 4wd, the PINION is driving the ring gear/w torque/pressure/bearing wear, but

Outta 4wd, it reverses (front only), the ring gear drives the pinion and the backlash/crush washer and main shims have to be "JUST RIGHT" for the setup to be quiet-

Also the mfg of the ring/pinion can be very important-they're probably not YUKON, or the shop may have made a mistake-in setup

Fluid level is important, but shouldn't cause what you describe-

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JIMBOX said:
:whistling: Sounds to me like PINION BACKLASH/crush washer-

In 4wd, the PINION is driving the ring gear/w torque/pressure/bearing wear, but

Outta 4wd, it reverses (front only), the ring gear drives the pinion and the backlash/crush washer and main shims have to be "JUST RIGHT" for the setup to be quiet-

Also the mfg of the ring/pinion can be very important-they're probably not YUKON, or the shop may have made a mistake-in setup

Fluid level is important, but shouldn't cause what you describe-

Good luck

Waiting to hear back from the shop. Think you're probably right with it bring something pinion related. This was the first time I put a load on the front axle since it was rebuilt and I'm hoping it's nothing major and just something simple like pinion depth or a bearing starting to fail.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D I hope they told you of the 500 mile breakin procedure--

Waiting to hear back from the shop. Think you're probably right with it bring something pinion related. This was the first time I put a load on the front axle since it was rebuilt and I'm hoping it's nothing major and just something simple like pinion depth or a bearing starting to fail.
It's not THAT important for the FRONT diff., but still required for general breakin with special fluid--

Hope it turns out OK

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the Jeep back today. Shop replaced pinion and carrier bearings and the noise is now gone. Shop said the carrier bearings looked good but the pinion bearings had some pitting/scoring. Pretty sure it was either a bad install or a defective bearing. I'll see how it goes this time around.Only had 1000 miles on the bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts