Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting an XJ D-30 HP and have some questions.

Is this a direct bolt-on application?

I know I will want to harvest my hub bearings and rotors from my current D30. Anything else?

If the internals are trashed should I avoid it? Or can I swap my stock LP 3.73 gearing into a HP diff, or will they not fit?

I do not wheel hard enough to upgrade the front right now. Maybe in the future I will stick a D44 up there, but right now my problems around here are smacking into things. I do not go into big rocks as we do not have them here. But I do go off the trails and over broken land with stuff hidden in the grass. I have damaged my front diff cover once. But I do not need a truss and probably do not even need chromoly shafts. So I think this HP might suit me well.

I also like that the driveline angle will be improved a bit as well as the fact that the gears pull together under load and do not push apart.

Further, I have a 2003 4.0L Sport 5 speed on 33s with a 4" lift. I have read several times that 4.11 gears would be quite nice versus my current 3.73 set up, but that 4.56 would probably be ideal. If it comes with either of these I would probably keep it as is and stick it in the carport until I can afford to regear the rear to match.

So if I end up going to look at this axle what do I need to watch out for? It is cheap, so I am worried. I am not afraid of totally reworking it if it is off the TJ up on a stand.

This axle is six and a half hours from me, a 13 hour roundtrip drive! But it is only $150. The seller is going to send me photos later today. I am interested, but the price worries me. And then there is that 13 hours in the seat. I do not mind that, really. It is just a lot of gas!

Any advice would be appreciated from those who have done this swap.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What years are acceptable?

·
Registered
831 Posts
91 to 96

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sent the seller an email...

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I used one out of a "95" and I believe that 95-99 are the years you should be looking at. Earlier than that they used a two piece axle on the passenger side and/or smaller u-joints (not exactly sure of the year changes) You might want to do some research.

·
Registered
299 Posts
^^^^ What he said. Mine was out of a 99. Make sure you dont get the axle disconnect version. It is a direct bold in. The only thing i had to do was press out the threaded sway bar bolts on the axle. Everything but the gears will swap between a HP and a LP axle.

good luck

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if it does not have 3.73 then I cannot use it right now? Better to gear the rear down to match?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
1. you can use a disconnect version. it will bolt in. I have no idea why you would, but people do it.
2. you can use the small u-joint shafts. Again, why you would downgrade I don't know.
3. 95/96-99 without ABS are the best years to look for. Bigger u-joints (same as a TJ), non-disco, newer style knuckles (same as a TJ).

If you have a late-production 1999 or newer TJ make sure you are aware of the unit bearing & rotor changes. You need to match late model stuff, or early model stuff. You can't mix & match.

I run a 1999 XJ HP D30 in my Jeep. I basically rebuilt it: new gears, new UCA bushings, new bearings, new ball joints, external sleeve truss, reinforced mounts, etc. I reused the TJ shafts & unit bearings and installed a Vanco big brake kit for a late model (2004) TJ. I saved the old XJ shafts, and installed them on my old unit bearings which were still in good shape. I basically have a spare set of unit bearings & shafts now.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
So if it does not have 3.73 then I cannot use it right now? Better to gear the rear down to match?
If the gears don't match then don't run it in 4wd. You can run it, just do not engage 4wd until you match your gear sets.

When I did my swap, I just transferred over the axle shafts w/unit bearings and rotors over to the HP. If you are hitting your diff cover then get a stronger one. The best for clearance that will protect your diff is the Barnett Diff cover. They run about $100.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts