Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start out with thank you guys on here. I have been reading your threads for about 4 years now since I've purchase my TJ. It has come time for me to start asking question and I've joined the community.

About a month ago I had to replace the brakes and while I was there I figured hubs and the leaking passenger inner axle seal. All of this was done with success and thanks to all the reading on hear I was able to get the inner seals in with no issue.

I did make one little mistake and filled the front diff while I still had it jack up and on stands. So when I has some gear lube coming back out of the passenger side axle I didn't believe it was that big of a deal. Figured it was residual and parked it on a slope let it drain out for a day and then checked the diff level and it was good.

I've drove it for a couple of more weeks with no leak out of passenger axle tube. Yesterday I parked it on a slight angle again towards the passenger side and low and behold this morning there was a puddle of gear oil under the passenger side tube. I will pull it into the garage tonight or tomorrow and check the diff level. I'm sure I had them pressed in square. I worked on engines for years now and pressing seals and seating gaskets isn't anything new to me.

I've done tons of reading (100 of threads) and I see some guys will put a bead of RTV on the seal, press it in and then put another bead around the metal on the seal after pushing it in. And other guys don't do this at all.

I have seen threads on here but they never get down to if one continues to leak and what to do about it. Also if it helps I haven't replaced the ball joint yet either they are original to the TJ. Thank you all for the replies I love to keep a paid off vehicle on the road.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If the axle surface is clean and smooth, the problem is either; you damaged/misplaced the seal during install; you damaged the seal when sliding the axle back in. It is a good idea to use compressed air to blow crap out of the tubes prior to installing the new seals. You'd be surprised how much crud accumulates over the years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob5589 thank you for the reply and sorry I didn't reply. I finally had some time and pulled my jeep into the garage. With everything level I opened the fill hole on the diff. Fluid was at an acceptable level. I must have really over filled it. I will continue to monitor it as time goes on to really make sure that it isn't the seal.

Thought I would give you an update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts