Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me start by saying I have a 94 Wrangler YJ, with an E-Locked 8.8 in the rear and ARB Air Locked Dana 30(27spline out of a Cherokee) in the front and MT 35x12.50x15 tires. I typically run lite on the skinny pedal but from time to time I do get into it a little. Most of my driving will be on rocks, trails and pavement.

So I broke an axle in the Dana 30 this past weekend and I am not trying to figure out what would be best for this axle. Long term goal is to go to Dana 60 and GM 14 full width but that's years(3-4) down the road.

So Im looking into Chromoly shafts with Spicer U-Joints(760x), Stock Shafts with Spicer U-Joints(760x) and RCV axle Shafts. I found Chromoly Shafts from BaseLine 4x4 for like $550.00 and RCV Shafts for $1000.00+. I believe they both come with Limited Lifetime warranty with a max Tire Size of 35".

My other option is part out the D30 and get into a Dana44. But I currently am having an issue finding a reasonable Dana44.(still need to do some digging on this) Switching to the d44 will be a lot of work and is it worth the "X" amount of strength I will gain vs the D30.

Just looking for some suggestions and to hear your thoughts on what would be a good option. Thanks a head of time for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The problem with investing in D30 shafts is that you are moving the weak point into the ring and pinion - setting yourself up for disaster. I generally advise against investing in a D30 due to the small and weak gears. You can cryo the gears to add strength. It's not that they just break but if you have invest a bunch of money you are not much better off. Consider just replacing with stock shafts and save the rest of the money for your future upgrade plans. My $0.02

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
By the way - what did you actually break? I've broken YJ D30 axle u joints and the passenger intermediate axle shaft/disconnect and both were relatively cheap junk yard part fixes that weren't too hard to fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the passenger side u joint, and note that its a Cherokee axle and doesn't have the vacuum discount with half shaft set up. (I'm not sure if that's what its called, but I hope you get the idea.) And I agree about making a new weak point at the ring and pinon.

Maybe Ill just get the stock axles and go with the 760x u joints.

and thanks for the 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Many of us happily run our Dana 30s with chomoloy shafts with 35s. (with the larger U-joints)

I don't see the Dana 44 as a worthwhile upgrade - it has the same U-joints as the Dana 30. That's an expensive and time consuming upgrade. Throw some money at the Dana 30 shafts, be somewhat careful with them, and save the rest of your money for the Dana 60 in 3-4 years.

Carry your old stock shafts as spares in case you happen to break one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Many of us happily run our Dana 30s with chomoloy shafts with 35s. (with the larger U-joints)

I don't see the Dana 44 as a worthwhile upgrade - it has the same U-joints as the Dana 30. That's an expensive and time consuming upgrade. Throw some money at the Dana 30 shafts, be somewhat careful with them, and save the rest of your money for the Dana 60 in 3-4 years.

Carry your old stock shafts as spares in case you happen to break one.

Bingo you nailed it ! 30s dont do to bad , a 44 is realy not a cost effective upgrade . put some chrome mo axles in it and save for your 60 by going this route you will be money ahead when your ready to pull the trigger . also when your ready to build your 60 think ahead as to where you want to end up tire size and instal gear ratio accordingly . putting together a 60 isn't cheap but building a 30 moving up to a 44 and building that then ultimately building a 60 costs way more , also most people ending up asking more and more from thier rig over time when you get to that point you will already a an axle you dont have to worry about in place .

·
Supporting Member
2,839 Posts
I was going to build up my 30 when I finish my built 8.8 build. I'm building my 8.8 to hold 40's and plan on running 37's. So a d30 won't be upto the task for me. So I'm gonna build up a D44 for my front. That way j won't have to worry about a tiny pinion , I'll have lockable hubs and bigger brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Ill probably spend the money on the Chromoly Shafts and wait to build a dana 60 and 14 bolt. End goal as of right now is some 39.5" or 42" pitbulls on some beefy bead locks wheels. :beerdrinking:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts