Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I am starting a 2005 TJ build. I just recently purchased this Jeep and have started to plan the mods.
This is what it has:
Suspected 4" lift (Used all the data here on how to measure to determine lift)
Dana 30 in the front with 3:73s, Low Pinion
Dana 44 with same gears in the rear
Currently has 33/10.5s

I have acquired several new front pieces
One is a 87 YJ with a ARB locker, with 4:56s. This is where the question comes in.
I have talked to several different individuals about what works between the TJ Dana 30 vs YJ Dana 30 and am confused and was hoping to understand if the YJ stuff, Locker and gears, are unique and will only work in the YJ housing.
I am planning to add IRO sleeves and truss which will cover the YJ to TJ conversion
This is never going to be a full on rock crawler (Famous last words!! ;-) ), I do not drive it daily, it is used on trails in the Colorado and 4 corners area. I pull it behind my motor home. goal is to upgrade to 4:56s and lockers and the above mentioned items before a Quray trip in May.
I looked here and other places to try to find this info, sorry If I missed it.
Thanks.
Clay

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
If those Dana 30 sleeves are internal don't waste your time or money on them. Internal sleeves don't significantly help or strengthen anything and the math proves that out. If you're taking external sleeving that does add substantial strength.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If I am understanding you correctly you want to swap the internals from the YJ housing to the TJ housing. The YJ front end is more than likely a high pinion with reverse cut ring and pinion while the TJ D30 is a low pinion with normal gears. So NO the gears from the YJ D30 will not work in the TJ housing. The locker should swap over no problem. You will also need to setup the pinion depth, pinion preload, backlash and carrier bearing preload. Or you could install the YJ D30 onto the TJ that will require cutting off various brackets and welding new ones. By doing this you will gain ground clearance for your front drive-line and get a slightly stronger ring and pinion setup.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Upgrade the shafts on the axle you have on the Jeep, regear to 4.56 (if you never plan on going to 35s and it's a 6 speed) and be done with it. If it's an auto you'll want to go deeper.

Reactions: Ironhead Jed

·
Registered
148 Posts
Keep an eye on the weather. Last year after historic snowfall, many of the forest roads and trails were late to melt out. Snows continued right through the last days of May.

This season we're once again well above average on mountain snowpack (120%+ median), and it's still early.

Reactions: parkclay

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Upgrade the shafts on the axle you have on the Jeep, regear to 4.56 (if you never plan on going to 35s and it's a 6 speed) and be done with it. If it's an auto you'll want to go deeper.

X2. The D30 with chromoly shafts and locker can handle 35s. No need to spend money on sleeves, gussets, trusses, etc...

If you want a high pinion for more ground clearance for the driveshaft, then an XJ high pinion d30 is bolt on (minus the gears).

Reactions: TheBoogieman

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
If you want a high pinion for more ground clearance for the driveshaft, then an XJ high pinion d30 is bolt on (minus the gears).
He can buy mine, but he has to pay for the XJ too. It might be a tad more expensive. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I am understanding you correctly you want to swap the internals from the YJ housing to the TJ housing. The YJ front end is more than likely a high pinion with reverse cut ring and pinion while the TJ D30 is a low pinion with normal gears. So NO the gears from the YJ D30 will not work in the TJ housing. The locker should swap over no problem. You will also need to setup the pinion depth, pinion preload, backlash and carrier bearing preload. Or you could install the YJ D30 onto the TJ that will require cutting off various brackets and welding new ones. By doing this you will gain ground clearance for your front drive-line and get a slightly stronger ring and pinion setup.

That Is what I was looking for. I understand the difference between High Pinion vs Low Pinion. I was planning on cutting all the YJ stuff off and adding an Iron Rock Offroad Truss which has the components for the switch to coil springs. I understood the advantages of the High pinion so I am going to use that.
Thanks
Clay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
X2. The D30 with chromoly shafts and locker can handle 35s. No need to spend money on sleeves, gussets, trusses, etc...

Interesting. I also have a late model JK Dana 30, High pinion as well. Will the ARB locker fit in that? Sorry for the Newb questions
Thanks.
Clay

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ok, so the next issue you may face is the CAD in the YJ axle. If you want that still functionable you could do a Vacuum switch on the TJ transfer case it goes in where the 4wd light switch is then plumb vacuum down to the T-case switch from the manifold(check the YJ forums for routing). Or you could do the 4x4 posi-lock cable operated CAD (easy to do).
If you want to dispose of the CAD altogether you could swap in a TJ axle shaft with an internal diff seal (read the YJ forums for more info) and I have heard of people actually using two hose clamps to hold the CAD in locked position.

Yes the XJ D30 will work with the locker and your TJ

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Interesting. I also have a late model JK Dana 30, High pinion as well. Will the ARB locker fit in that? Sorry for the Newb questions
Thanks.
Clay

Yep. The RD100 fits any d30 from 1970 up to 2017 (IIRC)

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
If you read the thread you would realize that the OP is working with a D30 out of a YJ.
I read the thread. That's why people replace the CAD on an older Dana 30 axle with its 2-piece passenger-side axle shaft with a standard 1 piece axle shaft and completely eliminate the CAD which is not needed on a TJ.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I read the thread. That's why people replace the CAD on an older Dana 30 axle with its 2-piece passenger-side axle shaft with a standard 1 piece axle shaft and completely eliminate the CAD which is not needed on a TJ.
And some people actually like having the CAD it has advantages and disadvantages. The TJ axle shaft idea was mentioned in post #11

1 - 17 of 17 Posts