Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 JK automatic. I have purchased 5:13 gears and an arb locker for the rear. Before the install I have decided to lock the Dana 30 front. While thinking of this I am considering going to 30 spline instead of 27 spline in the front.

I currently run 35's and will be going 37's after the gear install to hit the sweet spot for the 5:13 gears.

Thoughts...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Any benefit to a truss over a sleeve or vice versa?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you are going to do all of the above; you just as well replace the junk factory ball joints at the same time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know. The list keeps growing and the parts are piling up. I dont want to half a** it and regret it later but I want it in my Jeep already.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I've run 37s on a D30 and had no issues but I was always aware and careful. If you are going to beef up your axle with armor, gussets and trusses it sounds like you are in for some tough wheelin'.

If you want to push the D30, I would stay with the 35s. The extra mass and radius of the 37s may ruin your off road adventure.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Any benefit to a truss over a sleeve or vice versa?
yes, a truss will actually strengthen the housing. most catastrophic failures occur when the tube breaks the cast housing where the tube and housing meet. sleeving does nothing to prevent this.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
yes, a truss will actually strengthen the housing. most catastrophic failures occur when the tube breaks the cast housing where the tube and housing meet. sleeving does nothing to prevent this.
Ahh i see. Can you sleeve AND truss?? That would seem like the thing to do if you got it apart already.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
absolutely. might be a tad overkill but you sure as hell wont break a housing or tube. might as well get some outer seals while you are at it. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Outer-Axle-Tube-Seals.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=101188&Manufacturer_PQ=Alloy+USA&Axle_PQ=Dana+30+Reverse+JK oh, excellent time to do balljoints too.
Awesome. Im trying to further my education with axles thank you for answering! With all this being done though im guessing the weak point on the 30 is now the axle shafts right? Even chromoly, the 30 is only so thick right?

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
not a fan of the outer seals. they really don't do much at all. I suppose if you're submerged in water a lot... but what they keep out they also keep in once it creeps past the seal.

far as the truss/sleeve.without question sleeve first. truss reinforces the axle housing for sure... but I'd rather reinforce the axle shaft as well, so my failure is more likely a u-joint and not the shaft itself.

tab if you're looking to build the axle (sleeve and c's, and truss) you might just want to look at a TeraFlex Dana 30 housing. as I said. ball joints and the stress on the inner c from the weight of 37s are my weak point. and I'd say I wheel it somewhat frequently...

:tomatoes:

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
not a fan of the outer seals. they really don't do much at all. I suppose if you're submerged in water a lot... but what they keep out they also keep in once it creeps past the seal.

far as the truss/sleeve.without question sleeve first. truss reinforces the axle housing for sure... but I'd rather reinforce the axle shaft as well, so my failure is more likely a u-joint and not the shaft itself.

tab if you're looking to build the axle (sleeve and c's, and truss) you might just want to look at a TeraFlex Dana 30 housing. as I said. ball joints and the stress on the inner c from the weight of 37s are my weak point. and I'd say I wheel it somewhat frequently...

:tomatoes:
sleeving doesnt reinforce the shaft, just the tube. breaks happen because of the twisting applied to the shaft and more often than not it snaps off right at the splines, nowhere near the sleeve

I can somewhat agree with you on the seals, but believe me, once mud goes into a non sealed axle it isnt coming out. it hardens on the bottom and sits there until you try to put your shaft back in, which pushes a little into the housing. I had to use a coat hanger for an hour to clean mine up before shoving it back in

1 - 20 of 28 Posts