Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody help me on dana 30 seals? I'm rebuilding a junkyard axle and I want to know what I need for seals. I know of the pinion but what axle shaft seals? I'm ordering from rockauto so if you could give me the part number that would help. Anybody have a how too with pictures?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Theres quite afew seals for the axle.
Do you have a Non disco or a CAD?
If you have a disco do you have a one piece shaft or two?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You can get a seal kit with barrings and everything on superioraxleandgear.com for like 90 bucks. Check it out.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
94Wrangler4.0 said:
Can somebody help me on dana 30 seals? I'm rebuilding a junkyard axle and I want to know what I need for seals. I know of the pinion but what axle shaft seals? I'm ordering from rockauto so if you could give me the part number that would help. Anybody have a how too with pictures?
The axle seals require you pull the carrier. First pull the axles, then mark your bearing caps and be sure to put any shims back to their original location when re assembling. The axle seals can now be changed, they sit just outside the carrier bearings. Before installing the axles, remove any rough or sharp edges on the spline area with scotch brite, to avoid damaging the new seals. Also before you slide the axles in, add a coat of grease on the splines. A carrier spreader makes this much easier, but most DIY guys don't have these around their garage.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
JPi1 said:
The axle seals require you pull the carrier. First pull the axles, then mark your bearing caps and be sure to put any shims back to their original location when re assembling. The axle seals can now be changed, they sit just outside the carrier bearings. Before installing the axles, remove any rough or sharp edges on the spline area with scotch brite, to avoid damaging the new seals. Also before you slide the axles in, add a coat of grease on the splines. A carrier spreader makes this much easier, but most DIY guys don't have these around their garage.
I personally think if your going to do this is to take it to a axle guy. Its really important that everything lines up right and if its not your axle will be shot faster then you would think.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
JPi1 said:
And what does a carrier spreader do? Iv never seen or heard of one.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
cakes567 said:
I personally think if your going to do this is to take it to a axle guy. Its really important that everything lines up right and if its not your axle will be shot faster then you would think.
This is true, we get $300 to do the axle seals, just FYI if you take it to a shop, that's about what you can expect

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Axle seals are easy, you don't need a spreader. The shimms wont fall out when you take the carrier out. The bearing caps need to be put back in the position. Hardest part is dealing with the cad

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
cakes567 said:
What is a spreader?
It's in the pic on my post. When installing the shims, usually very thin, this tool spreads the case a very small amount to make shims easier to install without bending them. Makes a gear change or carrier work go much faster.
And no, you don't need a spreader, but it makes the job easier.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
JPi1 said:
It's in the pic on my post. When installing the shims, usually very thin, this tool spreads the case a very small amount to make shims easier to install without bending them. Makes a gear change or carrier work go much faster.
And no, you don't need a spreader, but it makes the job easier.
That's intresting. I can honestly say iv never heard of one. Its gotta spread the case like thousands of inches!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am running the cad system. I found the axle shaft seals on rock auto (1652602,1652603) What are the others?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
cakes567 said:
That's intresting. I can honestly say iv never heard of one. Its gotta spread the case like thousands of inches!
That's right, and that's all it takes. Now you know what those two dowel holes are for on each side of the case.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
JPi1 said:
That's right, and that's all it takes. Now you know what those two dowel holes are for on each side of the case.
Can the same tool be used for pilling the axle tubes out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts