Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my 89 islander with the Carter bbd 4.2L I noticed besides the various taps and knocks from the engine that there was a few vacume lines snipped from the front diff. I know it has some type of engagement system but don't know much about differentials besides fluid services on em so I was wondering if the few times I have used the 4wd was it engaging properly? I know it works but have never used it on a regular basis or relied on it at all and yes that means under my operation of the vehicle it has not seen a trail or mud hole yet.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
we don't need no stinkin vaccum

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe this can help a little. I changed around all the vacuum lines on my 87, but heres the colors of the lines and where they go.

(blue line) Leave hanging, it has a check valve on it which gets hooked to nothing.
(red line) Hooks up to a good constant vacuum source off of the manifold.
(green line) goes to the shift motor on the front axle. Horizontal on the shift motor.
(black soft vacuum hose) goes to the plug on your firewall by the battery for the 4wd indicator on the dash.
(yellow line) goes straight to the shift motor; one of the lines that goes into a two line plug verticle on the shift motor.
(black hard line) goes with one of the yellows to the shift motor. Plug located vertically on top.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mcgyver1467 said:
Maybe this can help a little. I changed around all the vacuum lines on my 87, but heres the colors of the lines and where they go.

(blue line) Leave hanging, it has a check valve on it which gets hooked to nothing.
(red line) Hooks up to a good constant vacuum source off of the manifold.
(green line) goes to the shift motor on the front axle. Horizontal on the shift motor.
(black soft vacuum hose) goes to the plug on your firewall by the battery for the 4wd indicator on the dash.
(yellow line) goes straight to the shift motor; one of the lines that goes into a two line plug verticle on the shift motor.
(black hard line) goes with one of the yellows to the shift motor. Plug located vertically on top.
That was just the info I needed. Your awsome now I have a project for this Sunday. With snow comming Monday it can't hurt to remedy the issue just in case but I doubt I will need it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts