Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 CJ7 304 with Borg Warner T18 and Dana 20 transfer case. I want to change out the 20 for a Dana 300 do I need anything to make it work or can I just swap them?

·
Registered
667 Posts
The only Dana300 you can bolt to a Jeep T18 is a 1980 Scout TC146 Dana 300
it has the dana 20 boltpatten. The Jeep Dana 300 is round.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Novak has an adapter that will do what you want. Take a look at them online, there is a lot of info. Good luck!

·
Registered
667 Posts
if you can find a Scout Dana 300 TC 146 with the right bull gear that's the way to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Considering the relative rarity of Scout Dana 300's which were manufactured for one year only I would look into Advance Adapters product. There are options to put a low gear set into the D20.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 79 CJ7 304 with Borg Warner T18 and Dana 20 transfer case. I want to change out the 20 for a Dana 300 do I need anything to make it work or can I just swap them?
If your Jeep has the 20t-case now, I think you will have the offset rear axle. The 300 t-case, would have a centered rear axle. You might get by using a 300 with a CJ7, and not have drive shaft issues, but I would not bet on it. Why not find a set of d18 grears, and put them in your d20 case? You could even run with a twin stick set-up that way. By doing the d18 gear swap, you would have one great set-up! Do a search online for a "super 20t-case". Good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If your Jeep has the 20t-case now, I think you will have the offset rear axle. The 300 t-case, would have a centered rear axle. You might get by using a 300 with a CJ7, and not have drive shaft issues, but I would not bet on it. Why not find a set of d18 grears, and put them in your d20 case? You could even run with a twin stick set-up that way. By doing the d18 gear swap, you would have one great set-up! Do a search online for a "super 20t-case". Good luck!
Oops,
I'm wrong!?79' you would have a centered rear axle and a t18 4 speed trans, with your d20 t-case. My thoughts on turning your t-case into a super 20 case are correct. If I remember right, your 20t-case is 1-1/4" shorter than the 300t-case too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts