Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys? New member here, i drive a 89 Yj with a 2.5 with a d35 stuffed with 4.88s with an Aussie Locker. I was driving to work the other day and it locked up on me......i was doing about 25mph and my Jeep started bogging down like i was riding the brakes. Then pop my back tires lock up. What could it be? I disconnected the driveshaft, still nothing. Opened the rear diff and couldnt see anything wrong. no netal shavings in the diff, jack it up on jackstands and i can turn on tire but the other wont. Completely locked up. HELP!!!

Chris

·
Administrator
12,488 Posts
Bearing sounds like a good place to start..I would first get the stuck shaft out and look at it.

·
Administrator
12,488 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
could also be a brake pade fell apart inside the drum....vary rare for that to happen nowadays since they are rivited instead of glued like the repads where 30 years ago...but brakepads can crack and break from age or dirt/mud buildup...

that'd be the simplist thing that happened, next guess is like the other's said, wheel bearing....usually even when a wheel bearing goes it i believe you can still move the wheel...just takes excessive force and the engine should still be able to turn it...guess it just depends on how hot it got before it went out and seized up

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a brake pad and hardware come apart didn't lock my tire up nut the jeep bogged bad and that sucker put off some heat. My rear end locked up also doing about 45. Mine was the inner pinion bearing but that was because of over tightening. I pulled my cover and pieces of the bearing fell out haha.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could also be... A sign that... You should do an 8.8 swap...

I have seriously thought about an 8.8 my mechanic that did my gears quotes me $1300 with 4.88s and a aussie locker all installed. Thoughts?

I suck at doing gears so is that a fair price??

Chris

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yjpower94 said:
I had a brake pad and hardware come apart didn't lock my tire up nut the jeep bogged bad and that sucker put off some heat. My rear end locked up also doing about 45. Mine was the inner pinion bearing but that was because of over tightening. I pulled my cover and pieces of the bearing fell out haha.
Got lucky, it happened to my dad once, in his 69 ss nova, locked up so fast the front bumper nearly hit the ground

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have seriously thought about an 8.8 my mechanic that did my gears quotes me $1300 with 4.88s and a aussie locker all installed. Thoughts?
Chris
For a "turn key" job, I would say that would be reasonable to do both axles. I would get a locker atleast for the rear while you are in there.
I know you said your rear is locked at the moment, but that isn't what i mean :whistling:

Can you turn your wheels independently while on jackstands? If not take your diff cover off and if it isn't obvious what is wrong (metal chunks etc.) turn one wheel at a time while looking in the pumpkin

·
Administrator
12,488 Posts

Chris
Go with a full case locker in the 8.8 as many say the stock carrier is the weak link. A full case locker go's inplace of the carrier. $1300 for the axle ready to bolt in is not bad. Figure $300 more for a full case locker. Detroits work well. Does that include welding up the tubes?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Find out why your axle is locked up and get it moving again that way you will have time to "mull" over exactly what you want as far as gears and axles so you don't make any rash decisions that you might possibly regret someday.

My guess is bearing though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well its supposed to be nice weather here in Tejas this weekend so im gonna pull it apart and see what i can find out. I hope its not big deal, the guy that did my 4.88s is claiming that i have a lifetime warranty on the gears. But he is trying to talk me into a 8.8 i think because he doesnt want to do free work. lol i should prolly call G2 and find out if i do or not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sooo an update I have been riding my GSXR thru winter. Hey its been nice weather here in Texas. Still no luck with the YJ. Still have no clue what it could be. It's not a broken axle shaft, or wheel bearing, or brake problem. Soooo I am at a loss and my jeep is still broke.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts