Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting some opinions on some fellow jeepers with more experience than I. New to diffs and went to change fluids on my family's "new" 97 sport with 120k on the clock, found this when I popped the cover. Pretty bummed to say the least but after a little bit of research I found out that it might not be so bad. Looks to me like the R&P may be okay but i'm not sure. I didn't have any indications that anything had happened....no jerking, grinding, etc. I have 31" tires on it I intend to stick with, 3.55 gearing, 2"BDS lift on the way. This jeep is just for family fun, running fire roads, hunting, nothing extreme by any means. I don't want to dump a lot of money into it as i've fixed plenty of neglected stuff already from the PO. Thinking of two things: replacing the spiders, or putting in a Truetrac. Can I get away with doing either of these by themselves, or should I do a complete overhaul? I'd really like to do the Truetrac I think, especially since the wifey gave me the ok. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The spiders are toast...can't see the ring and pinion so I can't speak for them. Spiders you can replace yourself. A trutrac would require a regear which equals money that I personally wouldn't put into a D35.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgive me for being ignorant, but why would the Truetrac require a regear?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Forgive me for being ignorant, but why would the Truetrac require a regear?
Because you either have to remove your old ring and pinion or put on a new ring and pinion. Either way it would require a set up (re-gear). The existing shim pack might be close but they are doing the same work to get it set up properly. You can't just swap everything over....the likelihood of everything being correct is minute. Gears get set up in thousandths of an inch.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
330 Posts
Because you either have to remove your old ring and pinion or put on a new ring and pinion. Either way it would require a set up (re-gear). The existing shim pack might be close but they are doing the same work to get it set up properly. You can't just swap everything over....the likelihood of everything being correct is minute. Gears get set up in thousandths of an inch.
It won't be a full gear setup, a True Trac (or any new case) would require only the backlash to be reset. The pinion depth does not get messed with during a case replacement.

To the OP, I would just throw some new spider and side gears in it and save up for an axle swap down the road if you want the extra traction of a locker.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
It won't be a full gear setup, a True Trac (or any new case) would require only the backlash to be reset. The pinion depth does not get messed with during a case replacement.
That's true for the used set but not a new set. (not sure where my mind was at that moment!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like i'll go the cheap route and toss the spiders and side gears in. Too bad I didn't do my research and look for a Jeep with the D44 rear to start with. Live and learn. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Cost me a half hour of labor when I had my guy put new spiders in. If anyone tries to charge you more look for another place. That is if you dont do it yourself. I didnt have the area to do it at the time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got a complete dana 35 rear carrier with good spider gears in it sitting in my garage. I'm willing to let it go cheap. Send me a PM if you'd like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts