Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I blew my diff. I'm poor and having a hard time finding a Dana 35 rear 3.07 that's not blown lol. And I'm a noob. And a buddy is telling me to uprade to a 8 1/4. What is that? Sorry for the ignorance. Is it bolt on ready? Do I need new driveshafts?
What's the "411" ..

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I'm sure me meant an 8.8. It is made by ford and came from the explorer. They can come with a wide range of gear ratios and LSD's. They are not complete bolt in but are pretty close. Just a few things that needed to make them work on your TJ.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mortalis beat me to it. The only "bolt in" rear axles are going to be a Rubi D44, or the D35 that you currently have. Everything else is going to require a small amount of fabrication or welding. A popular replacement for the D35 is the Ford 8.8 from an Explorer. It's got disk brakes and is pretty darn strong. However you'll need to weld on the brackets IE: spring buckets, CA brackets, Shock tabs, track bar, whatnot. Here's a good write up:

Ford 8.8 Axle Install - 1

Bracket kit:

TJ Wrangler Rear Axle Bracket Kit [Axle Kit-TJ] - $199.00 : Mad 4 Wheel Drive

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure there is no 8.25 something that comes out of a jeep product.. its leaf springs need to be switched from top to bottom. I forget the name of jeep he said it was. It's not the 8.8 though. That was ruled out because of my budget.... Near 0$ lol. Oh well. I'll find out more details tomorrow. I can't wait. He is looking into if it is the 3.07 I need.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What Jeep do you have? No need to weld new coil mounts and trac bar mounts if you have a YJ. Some Cherokees came with a 8.25 diff with leaf perches, Grand Cherokees can have the 8.25 with coil mounts. Not a clue how either would bolt up though. If you are that broke, errrrr, are doing such a budget fix, I would try to find a stock 35 with the correct gear ratio and mounts. They should not be too hard to find for cheap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a 93 yj. And all the junk yards around here are looking for a around $500 with high mileage... The guy I'm getting the axle from owns a shop and said as lol as his axle is the right hear ratio I could have it for $150 and of it needed new perches he would hook it all up for a couple hundred more... So basicaly I'm getting a tuffer back end for around the same price... :). Still waiting to hear from him on the ratio.... And cheerokee sounds like what he said now that you mentioned it.

ForumRunner_20120127_074114.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live near Albany ny.... There is a shortage of the d35's they all seem to be broken. Or so overpriced for such a crappy axle I would hate to pit one back in... I hope to do some light towing....

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
The 8.25 out of an XJ will work, however the better one's are out of the 97+xj's as those have better shafts more splines.. 28 or 29 as I recall.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool I got the guy I'm gona use for the fabrication.... Now I need to find the 3.07 rearend. :). Then its jeeps away! What's the average price of the 8.25 3.07

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Albany ...if you are up for a drive to Smethport, PA. You can have my D35 with 3.07 gears for $150. It will bolt right in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I am in a pinch to just get it going again. But if I can get the 8.25 minor upgrade in the process I will.. I may have to take my jeep off road to see what all the hype is about. Lol ;-) and the dana35 has me paranoid now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
However if there was one closer and or cheaper I would do it. And save for a real axle down the road for when that Dana blows. I will ne towing a trailer.. so its inevitable.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
4Jeepn said:
The 8.25 out of an XJ will work, however the better one's are out of the 97+xj's as those have better shafts more splines.. 28 or 29 as I recall.
The thing that sucks about the 8.25 is the lack of aftermarket support. If your going to go through all that work, I'd rather have an 8.8.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
itty bitty said:
Well I am in a pinch to just get it going again. But if I can get the 8.25 minor upgrade in the process I will.. I may have to take my jeep off road to see what all the hype is about. Lol ;-) and the dana35 has me paranoid now.
It is not a bolt in swap. I believe XJs are spring over axle from the factory in the rear. Your YJ is spring under axle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That brings me to my second delema.. do I raise up the front... (make it spring under)?!? Why did I get a jeep lol! I don't want any further expenses right now. Ie... Driveshafts stearing linkage and what not... I just need her on the road again.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Buy a Honda. Haha. But seriously. The only thing that's going to "bolt in" is going to be from another yj. Anything else is pretty much gonna be the same work as an 8.8 or 8.25 or 9" or d60.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Almost done. Waiting on shorter driveshaft. And button up the brakes and I'm all set. $80 for the whole project.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All done. Man its so much quieter now lol. No more hum/grind. Now on to the rear main seal. Leaves a puddle everyday. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts