Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im running a dana 35 with a 4in lift 33 in tires is gonna casue me any problmes in the future all i hear about the diff is how weak t is what should i do

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
What kind of wheelin do you do? Do you go out a lot? What percentage of your time is spent on the street vs. off road? Is your D35 locked?

These are all things we need to know to accurately advise you on some courses of action that you can take.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If you have that setup, upgrade to 30 spline shafts and locker (Superior, USA Alloy, or Yukon) and you should be okay, but a LOT will depend on your wheeling style and engine type.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do like thousands of others with the same set up.Run it until it breaks.If it does.If you are hard on the jeep go to the junk yard and buy a spare set of axle shafts.Carry them,a tube of rtv sealant and a few hand tools,diff oil also a good jack.You can change them almost any where.Bill

·
Registered
64 Posts
why don't you look into a super 35 kit. The Superior Super 35 Kit contains Left & Right axle shafts, includes Detroit Locker or ARB air locker, TIMKEN bearings Grade 8 Thread in studs. Up-grade to the bullet proof 30 spline axles! axle shafts. You can find this through rusty's offroad. This is where i got mine, but i opted for the full time detroit in the rear. The ride now is so smooth(A little different when turning) and i couldn't be happier with my detroit. On top of that the 4.56 gears let me go places in 2 wheel drive that i couldn't before. It's the best grand i have spent on my jeep and i have spent quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've always had an open D35 (not that I haven't wanted to upgrade) and have bounced it around pretty good without breaking it. If you wheel right it can do okay but it is pretty weak for the hard core stuff. Don't rock it like your on your 8 second ride...or it will be an 8 second ride. I never locked mine because I've always heard they are more likely to break with a locker. My plan is to do a Super 35 kit, I'd love new axles but I live on the budget. And I do carry extra shafts though, cheap back-up in my opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In a perfect world all jeeps would have come with the D44 and we would have to find something else to worry about.

My world is not perfect and I did not know enough to look for a D44. I am with some of the other guys, grab a couple of spare axles remember it is not a tank and run it until it breaks.

A lot of people get flamed for feeling this way, but all of us don't have the money or desire to run over anything in our path just because it is there. Spending $1500+ just to have that ability does not always make sense if you just want a nice DD and the ability to run some reasonable trails 3-12 times per year.

That said, I have broken an axle on 31's but I am locked. Notice I said I have broken an axle, not that POS broke on me. I ran this same setup for many trips with no problems, but the time I broke it I knew I should not try the obstacle that the axle broke on. I had already watched 3 rigs with larger tires and open diffs back down it because it was too much for them to get over. I view it as a slap back into reality. It made as much sense for me to try that trail as it would for me to try to get on the field with a professional football team.

I will probably go ahead and upgrade to one of the super35 kits somewhere down the road, but I am not going to quit driving it altogether just because I have the D35 rear end.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have a D35. I run it. No add ons. No super35. It works. Hasn't broken yet.

Have fun, don't be stupid. If you want to be stupid (or brave) have spare parts.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
im running a dana 35 with a 4in lift 33 in tires is gonna casue me any problmes in the future all i hear about the diff is how weak t is what should i do
F that. Run your D35 with pride my boy! No one gives them any props. I run 33's on mine, beat the crap out of it every chance I get. No problems whatsoever.

BUT, if you do break it, replace it with a 44 or better. But only if you break it. Don't throw money into an axle, until you break the old one.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i run 35" inch tires on my d35 no problem. Just got to take it slow and know ur limit. Once u feel that back start to hop, just let off and back off. I wheel every single weekend and the axle has not given me any problems. The only time i broke an axle was when i just got my jeep on 33"s, and i didnt know anything about jeeps yet, So i figured that 12.5 wide tires are pretty wide and they would catch grip good. So me being an idiot launched the crap out of my jeep(at least attempted to) and of course, i blew my left rear axle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i realy dont do that much off roading becasue it is my DD also there is noware to go except to some housing devlopments that i fly through the mud in or go up and down some hills. I have to say i have beat it pretty hard a few times getting air born

im only 18 years old so i am on a budget so i cant go out and get a knew dana 44.
should i do a set of lockers that would clean me out
is it worth it???

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i realy dont do that much off roading becasue it is my DD also there is noware to go except to some housing devlopments that i fly through the mud in or go up and down some hills. I have to say i have beat it pretty hard a few times getting air born

im only 18 years old so i am on a budget so i cant go out and get a knew dana 44.
is it worth it???
For you I don't think lockers are worth the money. Also, high speed flight is not recommended for a Jeep.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've always had an open D35 (not that I haven't wanted to upgrade) and have bounced it around pretty good without breaking it. If you wheel right it can do okay but it is pretty weak for the hard core stuff. Don't rock it like your on your 8 second ride...or it will be an 8 second ride. I never locked mine because I've always heard they are more likely to break with a locker. My plan is to do a Super 35 kit, I'd love new axles but I live on the budget. And I do carry extra shafts though, cheap back-up in my opinion.
The super 35 kit has to be locked if you didnt know that. Along with the bigger axle shafts, The locker is needed to make the entire application stronger. If you plan on doing a super 35 kit then you are going to have to choose between detroit, ARB, and OX Locker. I with full time locked detroit. It is the cheapest and the easiest option for the super 35.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a D35. I run it. No add ons. No super35. It works. Hasn't broken yet.

Have fun, don't be stupid. If you want to be stupid (or brave) have spare parts.
Im glad you have had good luck. Maybe it makes a difference if you only have 4 cylinders. You probably dont have enough power to break anything.

·
Registered
64 Posts

is it worth it???
You don't even need a set, but if you do want to lock i suggest that you do a super 35. With just one locker you will really see a difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts