Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a hard Spot here. I can get a Dana 30 and Dana 35 with 4.10 gears for $175. I know the Dana 35 is know for blowing up but I'm in a tight money spot. My question is would it be worth it to buying this set up. I'm not gonna be doing any hard rock climbing just mainly trail riding and some mudding. Will the Dana 35 hold up thanks WOODY

·
Registered
88 Posts
quick question what year is your Jeep? What year are the axles from? I would say go for it at that price. Are you doing this for the gearing or replacing a broken 35? Be alert on the front knuckles they did a change around 92 I believe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 91 YJ with a blown D35 right now and i want to change the gears because of the 33's. The guy selling them to me says hes are off an 89-90. should bolt right up right.

·
Administrator
12,635 Posts
I think for the price and getting your jeep back on the road it sounds good to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would love to do a 8.8 swap but damn it looks pretty hard. i start reading the write ups and my head instantly starts hurting lol. i found a 8.8 with 4.10 with posi? for $350 with 80K miles on it. Is having posi traction rear 8.8 a good thing for a jeep. sorry for all the questions im a rookie with all this.. better with guns lol

·
Administrator
12,635 Posts
try car-parts.com for used 8.8's I got mine for under $150.

·
Registered
201 Posts
W69DY said:
i would love to do a 8.8 swap but damn it looks pretty hard. i start reading the write ups and my head instantly starts hurting lol. i found a 8.8 with 4.10 with posi? for $350 with 80K miles on it. Is having posi traction rear 8.8 a good thing for a jeep. sorry for all the questions im a rookie with all this.. better with guns lol
It's really not hard to do the 8.8 swap. A posi is no locker, but it is better than an open diff. I'm happy with my 8.8, and it's alot stronger than a D35. The 8.8 is still a c-clip axle, but because the axles are so strong, you don't have to worry about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts