Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 wrangler X 4.0l and i was stupid enough to buy it before researching the rear axle. I am planning on running 33x12.5 on a 15x8 wheel. My vehicle is my DD / weekend warrior. MY question: If i want to change the Gear ratio to 4.56 with my Dana 35's do I NEED to buy Dana 44's? Im on a budget and im not going to rally my jeep into the ground.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Kind of confused by your question. You don't have two Dana 35s, you have a Dana 35 in the rear and a Dana 30 in the front. The Dana 30 can handle 33s no problem but 33s are the upper limit for the Dana 35 and most would recommend swapping it for the d44 or Ford 8.8. I don't know what your stock gears are so that's something you'd have to figure out but I do believe 4.56s are ideal for 33s. Just to note, I'm no expert so if I'm wrong please correct me!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2004 wrangler X 4.0l and i was stupid enough to buy it before researching the rear axle. I am planning on running 33x12.5 on a 15x8 wheel. My vehicle is my DD / weekend warrior. MY question: If i want to change the Gear ratio to 4.56 with my Dana 35's do I NEED to buy Dana 44's? Im on a budget and im not going to rally my jeep into the ground.
I myself did not do my homework when I bought my jeep. If I had to do it over i would have went with a rubi.

I am running 33x12.5 with a 3.73 gears. I really need new gearing. I would love to step up to 4.56's, but I can't see throwing that investment into my D35. I keep hoping 1 day I will trip over a D44 that would bolt right in. Not holding my breath though. So until I can really get a handle on my options ( D44, 8.8 or super 35 kit ) I will be careful of the power I put to the rear.

I would think stepping up to 4.56's on this stock D35 would be even more detrimental then the 3.73's I am running know. More torque, twist, and Pop.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a dana 35 and 4.56 gears on 33 inch tires. U do not need a buy a dana 44 if u are not doing crazy off roading. If u change u mind later u can upgrade ur dana 35 with a super kit to make it stronger. 4.56 gears are ideal for 33's I u have a manual tranny. And the gears are amazing ! Definitely recommend the gears! But if u have the money for a dana 44

·
Registered
230 Posts
When you change the gear ratio make sure upgrade your axle shafts at the same time and you can up the spline count from 27 to 29 i think and chrome moly axle shafts i snapped an axle shaft on 33 with 4;10s

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
jeepdude2003 said:
When you change the gear ratio make sure upgrade your axle shafts at the same time and you can up the spline count from 27 to 29 i think and chrome moly axle shafts i snapped an axle shaft on 33 with 4;10s
To upgrade spline count, you would need a new carrier and new axle bearings. You are probably thinking of the Superior Super 35 kit, that upgrades the spline count to 30 spline, adds a locker, and allows to Dana 35 to be as strong or stronger than a stock Dana 44. This is expensive and requires swapping carriers. An easier way to go is to keep the stock 27 spline shafts, but upgrade them to high strength alloy shafts, preferably made by superior. These won't be as strong as super 35 shafts, as they have a smaller diameter, but will provide you with a strength increase. Personally, I would get a super 35 kit, because with it you can safely run up to 35" tires locked.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Budget's and wanting to run 35" tires dont really belong in the same sentence.Running 35" is opening a whole new can of worms. Even if you threw money into a d35 it wont last. You really need to ask yourself why do you need 35" tires. Do ride trails that require that big of a tire, or is cause they look cool? You can build a very capable rig on 33". I would say if you really wanted 35" do a 8.8 or dana 44 swap. Put in some 4.88's and lockers, upgrade your brakes and steering and wheel it.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I run 4.56's in my Dana 35 for my 33's. If you have respect for your 35, and use it within it's limits without pushing the envelope, you should be fine keeping your 35. If you want to upgrade it, there is not much I can find on the Super35 kit in the lines of breaking. Seem like very good upgrades and not as much as a Dana 44 costs around here.

So... to run 4.56's you will need a new carrier for the Dana35 if you have gears numerically lower than 3.73's right now. Your Dana 30 will be fine with just new gears without a need for carrier change.

This is not something I would attempt to do if you have never done it... unless you have a good friend that know EXACTLY how to set them up and has done a lot already. Im not saying it can't be done, but not worth throwing money away by setting it up wrong. I have done a few and rebuild gearboxes at work... I'm still not comfortable doing my R&P without experience over my shoulder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts