Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder what made Jeep go back to dana 35s for the Sport model and how will they stack up against the current dana 44?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I wonder what made Jeep go back to dana 35s for the Sport model and how will they stack up against the current dana 44?
I am not convinced that they are using the Dana 35 in the JL. Jeep stopped using the Dana 35 in the JK. Only 2007 2 door JKs had the Dana 35. So I find it highly unlikely that Jeep decided that the Dana 35 was not adequate for the JKs 3.8l 237 ft-lbs, and even when it was adequate, it was only adequate on the lighter 2 door, not the 4 door. Then all of a sudden they decide the Dana 35 is adequate with the 3.6l 260 ft-lbs or the 2.0l 295 ft-lbs? I am not buying it.

Also, while I know this is a rumor, this rumor suggest the JL will be using Dana 44s all around:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiWkey9ke7XAhWMQd8KHcIKAWwQFgg1MAE&url=http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/axle-info-new-front-and-rear-axles-for-2018-jl-wrangler-sport-sahara-rubicon.1377/&usg=AOvVaw3JIbTWlqqbCJy1mq27mo5l

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read that the Dana 44s on the JL Rubicon aren't the same as the 44s as were on the JK, which we know weren't the same as those on the TJ. Maybe these 35s are different than the old 35s. I don't know why Dana can't come up with a new designation for each new axle iteration. It'd make things a lot less confusing.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Agreed. The D44 both Rubi and non-Rubi in the JK are the heaviest factory D44 to date. I find it hard to believe they would step backwards here. I can see them still using the front D30 for Non-Rubis. It will be interesting to see if a JK to JL axle swap is feasible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
But withwout half truths and gorrila dust what would we have to talk about ?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Jeep now allows you to build & price JLs on their website. The build & price confirms that non-Rubi JLs will have a D44 rear axle. If you select "Details" on the "Anti-Spin Differential" option, it says "Included: 3rd Generation Dana 44 axle."

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
It has a 35 if a rear open diff. Opt for Anti-Spin and it includes an upgrade to a 44. Best $595 ever spent
Correct. Oh and I agree!

·
Administrator
12,510 Posts
It is not a dana 35. its dana next generation axle.. i forget the model number.. also its not a dana 30 upfront.. the rear has the same ring gear size as the dana 35 but it is not one. The rubicon 44's are just under 2" wider than non rubicon axles..

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It has a 35 if a rear open diff. Opt for Anti-Spin and it includes an upgrade to a 44. Best $595 ever spent
I don't think they are upgrading an open 35 to an LSD 44 for $595. I am pretty sure just the LSD option for the JK was around that price, and that didn't include an axle upgrade. I think it is a 44 whether you get the LSD or not.

Plus, it seems like a strange way to sell the option. If they really did upgrade the axle with that option, then they should sell it as an axle upgrade that comes with LSD, not an LSD that comes with an axle upgrade.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
No more 3.21's either, that's a positive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts