Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
So I decided to replace my brake shoes and drums and noticed that the seals behind the hubs were leaking. Checked the differential and it was moist but not filled. Explains the whine when on throttle above 60mph now. Hopefully it will go away when refilled, otherwise I have to replace pinion bearings.

So pulled the axles apart, and about to have the new seals and bearings pressed on, my question is do I pack the bearings with grease or does the differential fluid provide the lubrication. The bearings will not come with any grease, just some oil maybe to inhibit corrosion whilst in storage from the supplier. I am using timken bearings and mopar seals.

Second question I am going to have to re-use the axle retainer nuts and bolts as the local dealer does not have them in stock and nor do any of the fastner suppliers where I live. Most of the hardware here is metric from suppliers. Shocking to see hear the local dealer does not stock these parts either, I guess their workshop reuse the nuts as well.

Should I use red or blue loctie on the nuts since I am going to have to reuse them.

I am based in Dubai, UAE, and we have limited sources on automotive components unlike you folks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I coated my bearings with a thin coat of grease to be sure they were lubed in case the diff fluid didn't reach them immediately, don't know if it was necessary but I figured it wouldn't hurt. I went to a hardware store and purchased grade 8 bolts and locking nuts. I used a grinder to shave the bolt head so it would fit. It has been a few years with no problems using the grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The bearing boxes that I have used have said NOT to grease the bearings The oil from the differential will lube them. With that being said, I would squirt a little gear oil on them when installing them. As far as the retaining nuts, they are supposed to be one time use but people re-use them all the time. You might put a tiny dab of blue loc-tite on them so they don't back off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As per DC service manual, the bearings have to be greased. I recieved my bearings with grease and they seemed to be packaged for axles as instructions described removal of bearing retainer ring and inner race. I will use blue loctite. Hopefully they will hold.

Sent from my LG-K220 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I just double checked my FSM's for both a '97 and an '05 to see if there were any differences and there were none. The FSM does in fact say to grease them.

I think the mix up might be that the box says not to add grease since they already come with grease. My understand was that high temp bearing grease would keep the differential gear oil from lubing them properly. When in doubt, I would do what the FSM directs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I would think the diff oil would be the better lube. But in first install that lube may not reach the bearings, as the fill mark is almost level with the bearings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes I would think the diff oil would be the better lube. But in first install that lube may not reach the bearings, as the fill mark is almost level with the bearings.
Follow the FSM and pack the bearing with grease. The diff lube will eventually dissolve the grease. If you really want the diff lube "in there," then jack up the opposite side of the axle after you are done and let it sit that way for a min. Your axle bearing will have plenty of diff lube sloshing around it after that.

/herb

·
Registered
177 Posts
I always pack the bearings when I have the shafts out. Gear lube lubes them once it finds it's way out there, gear lube dissolves bearing grease and thins it out anyway so it won't hurt anything. I use a grease needle to pack them.

I reuse the flange bolts and nuts each time and just check the torque on them once a month or so when I'm giving it a good maintenance sweep. I don't use Loctite but blue wouldn't be a bad idea. I wouldn't use red myself. I do a lot of mud running so every oil change I pull most everything apart to clean the mud out of it all. I find it accumulates in around the calipers.

Reactions: vanhack
1 - 8 of 8 Posts