Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed front and rear diff skid plates on my '15 JKUR yesterday. I noticed tonight a lovely oil patch in my garage. I just bought this new 3 months ago, I'm not particularly thrilled about draining, resealing and putting them back together again. Looks like oil is leaking out from where the bolts are. I'm about to hit 5k miles for first oil change. My first thought is to walk in with my head low, wallet open to have the dealership fix what I did. Is there a cheap, easy fix or am I throwing my wallet at the service writer? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,325 Posts
So you didnt drain the diffs when you installed the skids right? When we did my diff skids I lost maybe a teaspoon-ish of fluid - in the time between unbolting the stock bolts and rebolting the skid bolts. (We did not open and drain my whole diff either.) Is it also possible this is when yours leaked and the fluid was just sitting in the skid and just drained out in the garage? Is it continuing to leak or just made the spot once? Clean it up and put white paper towels under it and you will see if it is continuing to leak or whether that was just residual that had fallen into the skid and is just draining. If it is not leaking anymore, you can check the fill plug and just be sure you didnt lose too much. Also make sure you torqued the bolts enough. Gear fluid is the most horrendously stinky stuff!

·
Registered
511 Posts
re-gasketing is literally a $25 job. If you only need to do one diff, maybe a $15 job. ~$10-$20 in gear oil(just a guess at what 2-4 quarts of gear oil will cost you) and a $5 tube of permatex gasket maker. The new oil resistant stuff is supposed to be awesome otherwise use gray.

I dont know on the new gen diffs if I would worry about swapping to lube lockers(im not personally going to do them). Not like you have to open up the diffs a bunch to drain them, unless of course your diff skids cover up the access to the drain, then yea, I could see lube lockers being a worth while investment. Although at ~$20 a piece($40 total), you can buy enough permatex gasket maker to re-seal both your axle housing's ~8 times each, which is probably double the amount most people would change gear oil in the life of a Jeep. If you are somebody that changes gear oil after every wheeling trip(some people do due to water crossing a lot which tends to let water seep into the front diff, not so much the rear) than lube lockers might be a good investment.

drain diff from drain plug. Remove cover. Clean mounting flanges of old sealant. Re-apply new sealant. Replace diff cover. Torque bolts in a star sequence like you are doing tires. Wait a few hours for gasket material to dry. Re-fill with new fluid.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I had one bolt on my diff that kept backing out and leaking. Put a drop of locktite on it and problem fixed.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
one think to look at with the expanding gasket crap is what would happen if a pice beaks off on the inside. i never use the expanding gasket stuff.
an old trick to fill an upside down diff is to fill a plastic bag with gear oil and let the ring gear open it up after its closed. a little gasket wont do a thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.