Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw an offer on facebook for a Dana 44 out of a '99 TJ. The axle is completely empty, just the tube and TJ brackets. The guy wants $75 bucks for it... do you guys think this is worth it? Currently running a mostly stock '05 TJ X with the D35 rear. Sitting on 2'' Teraflex springs and 31s, would likely go to 33s if I got this axle. I am also planning on installing an SYE kit soon. My question to you all is if you think this is worth it, what components I will need to build the axle, and if rebuilding this axle is doable for a regular guy with pretty decent tools.

Thank you,
Eli

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
It is probably worth it but get ready to spend some money. You are going to need axle shafts, new ring and pinion gears in the same ratio as your front. Possible locker of some sort. Not to mention all the break hardware and components. As far as the setup of the gears. That is better left to a professional (as it takes special tools).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,487 Posts
Figure:
If you want to build it up as you get the money not a bad deal at all for $75..However make sure the tubes are not bent.. why is the housing empty? Also add up all the cost of everything that need to go back in it, and see how it compares to a complete ready to bolt in used one. car-parts.com is a good site to find complete axles.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
Assume bent or otherwise damaged until proven otherwise
There is a reason he stripped it rather then rebuild it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank y’all for the input. Going to check it out before purchasing but assuming no bends, how much am I looking at to get this thing under my TJ with disk brakes on it? And any recommendations on gears, lockers or shafts? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
Not all damage related to bent tubes
Also Has to properly hold internals
There is more to the story and would not consider buying without the FULL story

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i found a Tj rear D44 housing and i ran right over and handed the guy 50$ loaded it up and headed home, happy.

when i got home i realized the carrier straps were not inside and i bought a 50$ paper weight

a working 44 runs 700-1200$. it's gonna cost yah 700 to build that (if u did it all), minimum.

500-1000- traction device
250- gears
250- shafts
600 in labor to assemble all that ^
150- brakes

see the rabbit hole?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
^^Good point. Make sure the bearing caps are the ones that were machined with the axle. If you look closely there will be a dot, shape, or some sort of machined marking on the caps that should coincide with the same markings on the face of the housing where the cover bolts to.

Notice the single dot on the cap and surface?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah... after hearing all of this I've decided I'll probably just go with a Super 35 kit. The guy is 3 hours from me and I really don't want to drive out there for nothing, plus I really have no plans of running anything bigger than 33s in the foreseeable future. Glad I asked here before going out there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts