Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a unique position to get a Dana 44 rear axle. The gears can be re-done to 3.73 or 4.10. On my 1999 TJ Sahara the current rear axle is a Dana 35 3.73. The front axle is also a 3.73. I understand that 4.10 is a better gear for the larger tires. Can a 4.10 be installed with a 3.73 gear front axle or does the gear ratio require to be the same? I know the shaft will need to be change to accommodate the larger rear.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
To use 4x4 (4Hi and 4Lo), the front and rear axle ratios must match. However, you can drive around in 2wd with mismatched f/r axle ratios until you can regear the front axle to match the ratio you choose for the new D44.

What size tires, transmission type, and engine size you have will dictate what axle ratio to go with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. That was very helpful advice. I currently have 31" tires on my TJ. Do you know if the Dana 44 3.73 handle 35" tires?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
3.73 would not be enough gear to properly turn 35" tires. What ratio would be correct for any size tire depends on what transmission type you're running. For 35" tires, 4.88 is the gear ratio to install if your transmission is the 5-speed, but run 4.56 if you're running the automatic that was used in '99 TJs :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can this still be mismatch with a 3.73 front axle until I am able to upgrade front

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Can this still be mismatch with a 3.73 front axle until I am able to upgrade front
As others have said, yes you can do this provided you do not engage 4WD. I have seen some friends re-gear one axle at a time in order to avoid dropping that much coin at once. While their rig was running different gears in the axles, they would remove the front driveshaft to ensure no damage would occur if they forgot and/or accidentally moved the t-case lever.

I highly suggest you do the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts