Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! need some more information on swaping my rear end to a dana 44, I was wondering what is the best vehicle to get it out off? I am looking at one from an 03 grand cherokee that has the dana 44, my jeep is an 03 wrangler sport, will this fit? Let me know! thanks:)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't get one from a cherokee, they have aluminum center housing. Makes them easier to bend and bring lockers/gears. Best bet is to find one out of another TJ (97-06), make sure to find one that matches your current gear ratio or it won't work.
You could also do an 8.8 swap for about $800(if you can't weld) which is stronger and way easier to find.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
I'd go for a used Dana 44 out of a '97-'06 TJ. MUCH easier than getting an 8.8 ready for use in a TJ.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 8.8 373 lsd drum brake for $80 from a friend, I havent been able to find a dana 44 out a tj anywhere, if anybody knows where they can find one let me know! Im in ct and yes that would be great!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
Make sure the axle shafts in that 8.8 are the stronger 31 spline version. There is a version of the 8.8 with smaller diameter shafts that is not desirable.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Make sure the axle shafts in that 8.8 are the stronger 31 spline version. There is a version of the 8.8 with smaller diameter shafts that is not desirable.
I have a 8.8 373 lsd drum brake for $80 from a friend, I havent been able to find a dana 44 out a tj anywhere, if anybody knows where they can find one let me know! Im in ct and yes that would be great!
What Jerry said.
The 8.8 you are looking for shouldn't have drum brakes. They should have disc and be from 97-02 explorer.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Keep the 6 inch lift
Do the long arm
And Dana 60's front and rear. Much easier to find and a heck of lot stronger.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
Having run a long arm suspension on my previous (stolen) TJ, never again. All its long arms did was hang up on my rock crawling trails. My current 4" Currie short arm suspension outperforms my previous 4.5" Rubicon Express long arm suspension in all regards. Long arms may look cooler to some but...

The below funny poster was made by a friend of mine after a day of my previous TJ's long arms getting hung up nearly continually on the rocks on a trail called Sunbonnet in Johnson Valley Calif. The Currie short-arm suspension on my current TJ (the black one) has no such problems in the second photo taken in Devil's Canyon also in SOCAL.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want it a little bigger but I have heard only good things about the long arm that does make sense though

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hold up, did I read this right? Dana 35 in the back, running 37s, on 6 inch lift, 8" lift and 38s in the future?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts