Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in an arcticle recently that a good match for a Wrangler buildup is a Dana 44 out of the Isuzu Troopers( mag isn't in front of me so can't remember the years.). I understood the article to say that they came stock with True Dana 44's front and rear and are only about 1/2 inch narrower then the Jeep version.

Has anyone ever heard of this. If it is True this would be a great way to do a budget axle upgrade I would think.

Any Ideas.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah this months issue of Jp magazine has a pretty in depth article on that. And I know where I can get some from a guy I do some work for. I seen it a whill back and figuerd it woul dbe hard but it don't look all that bad.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is throwing me off here is that I thought the Troopers were Independent Front Suspension and not solid Axle.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The one this guy has is IFS but has a 44 outback.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I thought. I will have to check around here to see what those rears axles are going for.
Thanks mike.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I am to I know I can get that one probably.

·
Registered
489 Posts
if its not directly bolt on, and needs grinding and new brackets. Then u should go for the ford 8.8. Best decision ive ever made, Picked one up with a limited slip for 200 at a junkyard. There everywhere. Every junkyard had like 5 of them. I ordered brackets from M.O.R.E for 300 that are specifically made for the 8.8 housing. They are stronger than a dana 44 and the ring gear are massive and strong. They whole project cost me 550 for a whole upgraded heavy duty axle. I have pics of the process if u want

·
Registered
678 Posts
I want to see them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
LOST will post them, he had the camera that night

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
axle with the leaf pads.

d35

axle with brackets welded on

closer picture

and the axle going under.

those are the only clear ones that I got.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you get the 8.8, make sure it's the 31 spline axle, I think the ones with the disc brakes have em, but im not completly sure

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 8.8 is on my research list, along with the dana 44's If I had an unlimited amount of money I would probably Have a Currie version of the dana 60 front and rear custom Built.

Anyone got a winning lottery ticket they want to give me:D
Besides the fun is tracking down what we want. I think.

Thanks for the reply's and info everyone.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Does the 8.8 come out of an Explorer or what. Is it the same width as a TJ rear axles? Also, will the TJ driveshaft and U-joints allow a direct bolt up? This sounds like a way cheeper replacement than a Dana 44 unless it requires a bunch of other modifications.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
8.8 come out of Explorers and I htink some Rangers too... but the only mod that I know is that you need to weld on the TJ control arm brakets.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Explorers are a better choice, they are closer to the wrangler axle length from what I have read. 8.8's seem to be one of the stronger axles out there. I have also found that there are a few places that sell everything you need to convert an 8.8 to a wrangler. This is actually will probably be my final choice but I have been procrastinating lately.

·
Registered
489 Posts
yes, u need all tj brackets, a yoke adapter=40, and thats about it. the width is 5/8 of an inch shorter on each side but not noticible. The whole thing cost me 550 and 10 bucks for welding rods. stronger than dana 44 to, out of a 97 and up explorer. good swap if ur on a budget. ive already tried to break it and i just cant. the rangers are a ford 8.8, but its 28 spline, oppose to the explorers 31 spline. 8.8 means the size of the ring gears. And the parts for the ford 8.8 are everywhere and so cheap!!
best decision ive ever made, suprised i dont see more people running it

·
Registered
489 Posts
pretty easy install, i got all my measurements and angles at stus offroad. The only hard part is that the diff in 3 inches toward the passenger side. and that makes it hard to locate bracket positions. i just tacked everything down, measured 3 times, and then finished of with the solid welds. matched up perfect. Very easy project, even at night as u can see in the pics, and especially if u have a yj. just spring perches and pinion angle to worry about with the yj. whole project took about 4 hours

1 - 17 of 17 Posts