Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 JKU Sahara with the 3.73 gear ratio. A friend of mine removed his Dana 44 rear axle that also has the 3.73 gear ratio. Would I be able to remove my front Dana 30 axle and replace it with this rear Dana 44 without any other modifications? If this can be done, is there any other differences (in axles) between the Sahara and the Rubi? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
No, a rear axle cannot be used as a front axle without some very serious modifications, just go look at it and you'll see.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I should have also mentioned that this is from a JK and I have a JKU. Is this an issue?
Nope, the issue is the rear axle diff is in the center and the fronts is off set.. hence will not line up, not to mention your front axle is a steering axle and the rear is not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, the issue is the rear axle diff is in the center and the fronts is off set.. hence will not line up, not to mention your front axle is a steering axle and the rear is not.

Ohh ya, I should have considered that. I assume it is offset because of how the powertrain locks when put it into 4 wheel drive. I wasn't even thinking along the lines of a steering axle vs non steering axle, but it makes complete sense. I am still learning alot about the jeep. Thanks for the quick responses!

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
If your looking to gain some beef to the front axle with out a major swap.. consider installing upgrade axle shafts.

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Here is one great way to upgrade. Or you can search around and see if you can find someone that has upgraded their JK Rubicon to a Dana 60 in the front and then re-gear the back to match. If you do find a Rubicon axle, make sure you get the wiring and switches for the locker.

Let me know if you want more information about the upgrade process.

Allen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts