Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a front Dana 60 to use in my YJ build, my plan was to use an HP Ford D60 with hubs & spindles but I found a Super 60 from a 2010 F550. I'd have to use 8-lug unit bearings & brakes from an F350, I do like hubs & spindles better from a routine maintenance standpoint but I think I can deal with unit bearings considering the cost of Dynatrac's Stub Hub kit. It'd be getting cut as narrow as possible without the tires hitting the springs so the WMS-WMS dimension isn't really important.

So, excessive overkill or not? Price is comparable with regular hub & spindle D60s.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want something stronger than a Dana 44. I'm pretty much set on a Ford 60 because it's an HP and I want to use my 231 instead of a flipped 300.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wouldn't the 231 be the weak link in your drivetrain? I would rather break a front ujoint than a t-case. Get a dana 44 front and 9 inch rear from an early 70s bronco.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 231 isn't weak, it's Morse chain & sprockets have more contact area than any gear-driven case. The weakest link is still going to be the U-joints, preferably in the driveshafts since they're the easiest to replace. The 1-ton running gear is so I can run 36-38" tires with less-expensive stock components, instead of spending a lot of money to beef up weaker axles. $1500 for Vanco Big Brakes? Nope, just stock F350 stuff (that's still probably bigger than Vanco) for a couple hundred bucks.

Right now I'm leaning toward a D60 from a '97 F350.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I spent a long time searching before I came across an 60 that I felt was suitable for what I wanted at a reasonable $.

I ended up with an "88 1/2 - "91 Ford F350 kingpin HPD60 according to the BOM. I got it from a local junkyard when I still lived in San Diego, CA.

This was when I was in the middle of completely rebuilding it, which IMO is pretty simple. I took it to bare metal, new ujoints, rebuilt the kingpins, new brakes, rebuilt the hubs, new wheel studs & lugs, new 1350 yoke, Artec hysteer & built the steering links, regeared it & put a Detroit in it, blah blah blah.

Recent pic:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to find a kingpin D60, but ball joints have never given me any problems. The most desirable feature of a Ford D60 is the high pinion, anyway; I'd even take a 99-up with unit bearings if I couldn't find an earlier model. The only drawback IMO is how far the hubs stick out. Dynatrac doesn't seem to be making the Stub Hub kits any more so I may have to get creative in order to keep from wiping the hubs off out on the trail. Steering will be worked out after I get the suspension in (0-2" springs, SOA) and axle narrowed (most likely just the passenger side.)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've built a few HPD60's that have balljoints. All of them have F450 flat top knuckles & we build the steering 100% from scratch.

Since I think you've got a TJ too, you can probably appreciate the work I put into this one which we put in an LJ (a friend of mine & I built the Savvy LJ Test Mule).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very impressive! I like that housing.

I can't imagine how much measuring, re-measuring, tacking, RE-remeasuring, and running small beads to eliminate twisting you must have had to do on that thing!

Can F350 knuckles be used in place of F450 ones? And if you don't mind, I may like to get the dimensions for those high steer arms sometime (or gladly pay you to make a set.)

I guess I'd better get the complete rolling chassis done (SRS & springs installed, at least the front axle narrowed, spring perch shims on hand) before setting the driveline and tackling steering. I'm doing this whole project with money left over after paying bills so I'll be happy if I get the rolling chassis done by the end of summer. No hurry, I blew the original 4.2l in Aug 2012 so another year won't make a difference!

·
Registered
465 Posts
That particular axle is a Currie Rock Jock 60 that we ordered for our customer. I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* the hysteer arms are Currie.

The steering links are made from double heat treated 4340 chromo. I brought them to a machine shop in Huntington Beach, CA called Mil Spec Heat Treating. Afterwards, they are drilled & tapped and I rattle can them.

As far as the knuckles go - some F450 knuckles are swappable with F350 knuckles.

Here's some interesting reading:

info on Ford Super Duty Dana 60 axle - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I cut all the brackets & crap off both axles yesterday and took a good look at the Dana 60 for the first time, and it looks like those Currie high steer arms will work. I'll have to order a set and drop them & the knuckles off at the fabricator we do business with at work so he can do any minor fitting that's necessary and drill the holes. I'm assuming these would be used with a crossover steering system, where the drag link connects the pitman arm to the right side knuckle and the tie rod connects the knuckles together? And that I'd want the drag link & tie rod to be as close to parallel as possible?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts