Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this today....

I have one used Dana 44 complete rear axle that was removed from a low mile, street driven 1989 XJ to be installed in my YJ/rear. The axle is complete drum to drum. I has 3:73 gears, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, 10x2.5 drums and is 60.25” wide. This is a excellent choice for a Dana 44 into YJ, or other swap.

I had the axle cleaned, painted, the shock towers and spring perches properly removed for the new install and I have the YJ peaches available too. It is wrapped up in my garage, taking up room. I have since sold my YJ and It needs a new home.
will this fit my 05 TJ?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Tiny, it wouldn't work in this condition for your TJ. XJ's are leaf sprung in the rear and you would have to add in the TJ brackets which would run you about $300.

And weird that he mention's it's 60.25" width. I was always under the impression that all XJ and TJ axles were the same width and TJ's are 61".

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Well for that price it isn't really a bad deal. But there will have to be some considerable time and effort put into setting up the TJ brackets for it. Plus a TON of welding with them also.

At least it isn't the Aluminum D44 out of a Grand Cherokee. Those things are junk and don't last even with stock parts in them.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Sounds like it to me!:D

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It never ends does it? Ten minutes after my lift I thought.. yeah, cool, it's perfect. Done. Twenty minutes later I thought.. you know, I could have gone higher and had bigger tires and I sure would like rid of those bumpers and I really need a winch and some rocker knockers and......... I want... and this....... and I saw a...... and I need.............

·
Registered
592 Posts
You are hooked!:) I know I have called my YJ done about five times. I learned slow I just call it a build in progress now.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
as stated it wont work.

look around the junkyards in your area, D44 rears in TJs hace been options since they were first sold in 97 ... theya re out there but hard to find ... look for one from a toasty jeep (fire victim) or from a front end total. i wouldnt reccomend a rollover as it will almost definitely have bent the brackets on the axle.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It never ends does it? Ten minutes after my lift I thought.. yeah, cool, it's perfect. Done. Twenty minutes later I thought.. you know, I could have gone higher and had bigger tires and I sure would like rid of those bumpers and I really need a winch and some rocker knockers and......... I want... and this....... and I saw a...... and I need.............
Sounds like the exact thoughts that I've been having. Upgrade to 32's with new rims because the stock rims are rubbing, new bumpers, winch, armor, neoprene seat covers, etc.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
the 44 that I have is out of a 89 mj
Which one would think should be the exact same 44 out of the XJ right? So how wide is yours WMS to WMS? I'm not buying the 60.25" that was quoted in Tiny's initial post.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
come on tiny, 3,000 posts and you didn't know that XJ's and YJ's were leaf sprung :D JK

now buy it and learn to weld!

sidenote...i wish i had some money! there is an 8.8 already setup for a TJ with 4.10 gears and low miles for a great price and its local to me! i just need money :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts