Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well that makes three of us. How about the Sycamore in Bethel sometime mid January? Bring the significant others?

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm in Fairfield County also. Just got a JKU Rubicon with new 34" tires.

I don't have a winch yet, but have most of the other recovery gear.

If anyone is interested in a near-by or trip (Rausch Creek, etc) off-road, please PM me and I'll reply with my phone #.

Was thinking of trying Porter Rd tomorrow - before New Years festivities commence :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sounds like fun unfortunately I won't be able to attend maybe next time. Preparing for family New Year's Eve

·
Registered
75 Posts
What/where is Porter Rd?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'd be down to check out porter rd on Sunday (only day in free). How many miles of unmaintained road is there to drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did some research and it sounds like it's not legal to drive past where the pavement ends
Care to share how you reached that conclusion?

It seems to me to be perfectly legal to drive on after the pavement ends.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Care to share how you reached that conclusion?

It seems to me to be perfectly legal to drive on after the pavement ends.

Googled "porter rd off-road" and read various forums and the conclusion seemed to be that it was awesome but not legal

·
Registered
50 Posts
Googled "porter rd off-road" and read various forums and the conclusion seemed to be that it was awesome but not legal
Not to be argumentative, but I did the same googling. And I did not see anyone claim that it was illegal to drive after the pavement ends.

It is a legal dirt road.

There is indeed some discussion about the legality of driving the side trails from Porter Rd, but there seems to be broad consensus that Porter Rd itself (after the pavement) is completely legal to drive on.

Having driven it myself - I firmly believe it is legal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but I did the same googling. And I did not see anyone claim that it was illegal to drive after the pavement ends.

It is a legal dirt road.

There is indeed some discussion about the legality of driving the side trails from Porter Rd, but there seems to be broad consensus that Porter Rd itself (after the pavement) is completely legal to drive on.

Having driven it myself - I firmly believe it is legal.

You could be very right. Does it come out to another paved road? Or is it a dead end in the woods?
About how many miles of dirt road was it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did not run it to the end. Drove it for about a mile, then it appears that there was a split. We took the right split for another mile or so. I was following another Jeep, that was local to the area, so not exactly sure if that right branch was Porter Rd or not.

If I ever go back there, I'll try to keep better track of distances and GPS location.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts