Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I bent the drag link today wheeling. My steering wheel is sitting at 90 degrees and driving straight and there is a bend upwards in the drag link. When driving it doesn't pull or anything and drives smooth the wheel is just bent 90 degrees.

Should I be worried driving this until I can get it fixed?

You can see my wheels turned in this video but the steering wheel didn't seem this off on the inside.

http://youtu.be/PJ2t1H14_jw?hd=1

Tried to embed it but couldn't get it to work

·
Registered
694 Posts
Usually when the steering wheel is off-center after wheeling, its the weak tie rod ends. They are made of soft putty. Check your toe, I bet it's out now. I have not seen a bent drag link unless something smacked into it. Usually folks tweek that weak tie rod then just adjust the drag link to bring the steering back to center. Since I went to a much stronger tierod, that never happens anymore.
Can you provide a pic. of the bent draglink?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Usually when the steering wheel is off-center after wheeling, its the weak tie rod ends. They are made of soft putty. Check your toe, I bet it's out now. I have not seen a bent drag link unless something smacked into it. Usually folks tweek that weak tie rod then just adjust the drag link to bring the steering back to center. Since I went to a much stronger tierod, that never happens anymore.
Can you provide a pic. of the bent draglink?
Yea. You sure it's not the tie rod?

The stock drag link has a bend to it.
x2

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll go snap a pic but not good lighting in the garage at night. There is a bend near the passenger side but the bend I'm talking about is more towards the middle of the drag link.

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
fix the draglink knuckle up if the steering wheel isn't straight.

everytime after off roading, my steering wheel gets slighty off centered.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent pics. It would appear mine isn't bent then. I had the jeep realigned at a reputable 4x4 shop in my area and they said it was just very out of alignment. The steering wheel is straight now but there is a slight pull to the left. Not bad but its noticeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts