Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sahara
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sahara edition (LJ)

I was just under the hood trying to diagnose an issue with my temperature control not functioning properly and noticed a wire just dangling just above the oil filter. It looks like it was connected to the side of the engine casing. There is a place where it looks like it rusted off. I live at the beach and have to deal with corrosion issues all the time. Anyway, I have no idea what it is. I can't really tell if it's just mounted to the engine casing or it's ground there. Does anyone have any idea what it is.

thank you in advanced
Carmine

·
Registered
380 Posts
The capacitor only has one wire because the other end of it is grounded through the mounting bracket.

Part number is 56041889AA, They are discontinued by Jeep but aftermarket capacitors seem to be readily available on ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The capacitor only has one wire because the other end of it is grounded through the mounting bracket.

Part number is 56041889AA, They are discontinued by Jeep but aftermarket capacitors seem to be readily available on ebay.
Thank you. That’s what I was concerned about. Since my mount point is rusted away I’ll have to figure out an alternate way to ground it. It shouldn’t be difficult. i’ll do some research on this part and figure it out. By the way, what symptoms should I be seeing if this part is not functioning as it should be?

thank you
carmine

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's main job is probably just to suppress electrical interference caused by the coil packs. Looks like the best ground for the capacitor might be to use the stud where the loom is attached, just above and right of the original location. You should be able to pull the plastic loom holder off the stud, and stick it back in place after securing the capacitor with a nut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's main job is probably just to suppress electrical interference caused by the coil packs. Looks like the best ground for the capacitor might be to use the stud where the loom is attached, just above and right of the original location. You should be able to pull the plastic loom holder off the stud, and stick it back in place after securing the capacitor with a nut.
johnny,
Thank you for your time. That’s sounds like a good suggestion.

thank you
Carmine.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If you look closely you will see it does show it grounded. Since it is attached to the grounding point & no wire there is no line to the grounded symbol.

05 Coil Capacitor.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2003 FSM that I was looking at doesn't show that depiction. But looking at other components that I know are grounded, some of those don't show a ground either.
Thanks for checking into this. I appreciate the help. Tomorrow I will use my mutimeter to test the capacitor and let you know if the connection/mount point is a ground. I'll bet it is a ground since it wouldn't make any sense otherwise especially if the wire going into it is a single wire. There has to be a ground to complete the circuit.

thanks again
carmine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts