Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the 2016 with dark saddle interior? possibly ordering it on my 75th next week...

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had posed the same question, then actually got to see one in person. The interior is NOT the same saddle that you get on the Sahara and Rubicon models. You get the saddle seats (which looked a bit lighter in colour to me), and the brown armrest, but the lower dash, doors, and console are all black.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/anybody-have-photos-of-the-brown-interior-with-cloth-inserts-1622449.html

I ended up going with the black, and very happy with it.

Ya I think in this case I would have gone with black as well. It sort of looks like the seats were an afterthought and dont match when everything else is black. At least if there was some tan on the dash to tie it all together but doesnt look like there is. When I ordered my hard rock I wanted saddle tan but couldnt get it. It wasnt a deal breaker for me so I got the black which is nice..especially when you want to add an accent color like red for instance. Black seems to go with more colors than tan in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
It sort of looks like the seats were an afterthought and dont match when everything else is black.
Except for Saddle, having seats in one color, and the rest of the interior black, is basically the standard for Wranglers.

For example, the 10A offered Red seats with an otherwise all black interior. And today, the Sahara offers Olive Green seats with an otherwise all black interior.

What's worse, IMHO, is that if you order Saddle in cloth, the seats themselves are still in black. :facepalm:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Except for Saddle, having seats in one color, and the rest of the interior black, is basically the standard for Wranglers.

For example, the 10A offered Red seats with an otherwise all black interior. And today, the Sahara offers Olive Green seats with an otherwise all black interior.

What's worse, IMHO, is that if you order Saddle in cloth, the seats themselves are still in black. :facepalm:
True. I guess its just too much of a contrast for me to like it. Red and Black look good together. Olive and black look good. Both those colors are darker. The tan is so light though next to the black that it throws that "off" look to me. I can dig the saddle tan when its incorporated in the dash though. If I had just tan seats I think I would paint the interior trim tan to bring it all together. I know I'm weird when it comes to colors. lol

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Not intending to offend anyone who has sprung for this combo, but I'm 100% in agreement with WV Jeeper. As I stared at the photo of that Tank JKU I couldn't help but feeling like this was somebody's aftermarket attempt to spruce up their interior by plopping tan seat covers and a tan slip-on console lid cover into the mix.

Not giving even a vague nod to the seat colors by complimenting them in some way in the dash and door panel inserts. You don't have to go full-on tan dash -- just some touches in the color.

And it's not just a cost thing, either -- I had a 2003 Element a few years that cost less than a Wrangler and had a vinyl interior but they brought the exterior color inside to parts of the seats and then carried through in the dash and doors. This was like a $16,000 car. (and yeah, talk about rear seat head- and legroom!)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the saddle interior on a 2015 and really like it. I've never been one for tan interior but the darker hue of this looks really nice.

I do agree with others that the dash being black doesn't tie it all together as well as it could.

·
Super Moderator
9,285 Posts
Short of a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce or a Bentley, no automaker is going to offer a light colored dashboard in this day and age. It has nothing to do with cost; it has everything to do with windshield glare.

I have Dark Saddle leather interior in both my JKs, and gets me positive comments every time. It it's kind of unexpected when 95% of vehicle interiors today are black, and it suits Jeep's character well.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Agreed, Aldo, but this is how you do it:

However, if you don't specify two-tone, they do still supply light interiors including dash:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm not even as interested in the looks (although granted reflection in the dash is an issue), so much as the ability to reflect the heat of sunlight with the roof off. It was so dang hot in Toledo when visiting the plant, that I had to go to the local pep boyz/napa and pick up a sisal steering wheel cover (like the one in the Deadpool taxi) and a cheap tan cover to keep the heat under control. Because I couldn't get saddle again this time around when getting the latest JKU the first thing was to buy another set of covers for the upcoming summer.

I don't mind-mismatching, but a convertible with dark leather seats is almost painful to return to after a nice recharging 90 min lunch break with liquid refreshment, kinda ruining the effect.

·
Super Moderator
9,285 Posts
Wow, look at all that glare!

But because it is a Porsche, I bet the magazines are not even complaining :)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
As I stared at the photo of that Tank JKU I couldn't help but feeling like this was somebody's aftermarket attempt to spruce up their interior by plopping tan seat covers and a tan slip-on console lid cover into the mix.
Do you really think this is better?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Yes, it's better. There is some integration: Black seats, black dash top and door tops. It's still the opposite of correct, which would be brown seats going with that dash. How they can figure out to do dual-color dash and doors, but not match that with their tan leather seats is beyond comprehension.

And I see the same silly designer who threw a tan console box lid on an otherwise all black console in the leather version, thought it a good idea to throw a black console lid on an all-tan console. Again, it comes off as an aftermarket attempt to differentiate your Jeep from everybody else's, even if it looks stupid.

·
Super Moderator
9,285 Posts
I think you are making too much out of nothing.

I really like the Dark Saddle interior; there's nothing stupid about it.

You cannot compare a Jeep interior to that of a German car.

The Jeep is going to be topless and it's interior going to see sun, dust and water in amounts no Porsche or BMW ever will. And it has to be easy to clean and last a long time.

Last time I checked, you couldn't hose down the interior of a Porsche without incurring a $3,000 tab.

As much as I liked the tan center console in the 75th Anniversary Edition, it is a difficult spot to keep clean in my Jeeps due to my constant rubbing, leaning, etc. I wouldn't want an interior that is so pretty I'd be concerned about using my Jeep as intended.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Aldo, Aldo, this is all true but it's a total non sequitur; you just demonstrated for me that jeep actually builds the exact dash and doors that are meant to go with the saddle seats; they just inexplicably refuse to install it in the correct jeep.

So nothing about using the correct color interiors with each other has anything to do with off-road ability or top down in the desert durability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts