Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the idea to start looking into dash cameras for my Jeep today. I want a 2 camera system with a forward and rear facing camera when recording. I also like the idea of Parking + Motion Detection Recording when people get close to my Jeep it will take a pic or 30 second video. I came across this system that seems to have the options I would like but not to sure if there are any other good camera systems are out there.
https://dashcamtalk.com/lukas-lk-7950-wd/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J7op6Z_4RM

How do you guys mount these dash cams in your Jeep? about have this system or another 2 camera system? I have the Rugged Ridge dash organizer, will that mount be possible? Thx

·
Registered
215 Posts
i have a G1W-C, but haven't mounted it yet. I should be taking delivery of my Jeep either Tuesday or Wednesday. The thing that concerns me is the flatness of the windshield and I'm not sure how it will mount since it's suction cup based.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Chinese Android radio and I got the dashcam for it. The dashcam records every trip I make.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i have a Blackvue. I like the compact size; there is no monitor but you can connect via your smartphone.

I have the BlackVue 650 (dual channel) in my Ram and I love it. I have been close to buying the same for the Jeep, but my fear is theft, specially with the freedom panels off during summer.
I like the features it has. It is hard to find a good/reliable dual channel camera like the blackvue.
The no monitor is a non issue for me. As you said, linking my iPhone 6+ with it via wi-fi is very simple. So far, mine has saved me of about $3800 in damages in three different instances, last one was a box truck that hit my side view mirror while parked. The owner and driver of the truck was very surprised when I called the number on the truck's door (as seen on the video recording) to resolve the problem. They cut me a check for the value of a new mirror in two days...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the BlackVue 650 (dual channel) in my Ram and I love it. I have been close to buying the same for the Jeep, but my fear is theft, specially with the freedom panels off during summer.
I like the features it has. It is hard to find a good/reliable dual channel camera like the blackvue.
The no monitor is a non issue for me. As you said, linking my iPhone 6+ with it via wi-fi is very simple. So far, mine has saved me of about $3800 in damages in three different instances, last one was a box truck that hit my side view mirror while parked. The owner and driver of the truck was very surprised when I called the number on the truck's door (as seen on the video recording) to resolve the problem. They cut me a check for the value of a new mirror in two days...
I can see these cameras paying for themselves within 1 incident. So when linked wifi while driving (live action) you're able to change cameras from front to rear with your iPhone? I was also thinking about adding security film as an added precaution for theft.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been running URive Shotgun in my vehicles. They have held up to the FL heat (in closed up vehicles, in the sun for hours) and have never failed in over two years.

·
Registered
801 Posts
So what what's the purpose of having a dash cam? Insurance purposes? Record accidents? Live in a bad area?

If your gonna spend 3-400 on a dash cam why not just buy a gopro?

Just trying to understand the practical uses for something like this. I've thought of getting one too but can't justify it... Something else to catch a thiefs eye and get jacked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just bought two ANART Ex Series to record my road trips, not decide the best location to be use as a dash cam yet, as the Jeep is panels open theft prevention is some to think about .

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what what's the purpose of having a dash cam? Insurance purposes? Record accidents? Live in a bad area?

Just trying to understand the practical uses for something like this. I've thought of getting one too but can't justify it... Something else to catch a thiefs eye and get jacked.
I want to go with a front and rear facing cam so you would need 2.
I was thinking about a gopro but don't think the have parking and motion detection/recording. With security film on the windows thieves would have a difficult time getting in through a window.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am using a GoPro with a 32gb card. I commute in a heavily populated area and I see stuff all the time that I "wish I had a camera for..." One thing that I often face is dump trucks. If I get a cracked windshield for a dump truck that is losing its load, I have a case against the company. Since Jeeps are prone to cracks, I'm not taking chances. Additionally, being in a heavily populated area, there are higher volumes of bad drivers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I can see these cameras paying for themselves within 1 incident. So when linked wifi while driving (live action) you're able to change cameras from front to rear with your iPhone? I was also thinking about adding security film as an added precaution for theft.
You can switch cameras while reviewing stored footage and also during live video. Recorded footage for either camera can be downloaded to the phone as needed, even while the camera continues to record.
The only downside of this set up is that the rear view camera video is not corrected, so it appears mirrored. I think they just took a regular view cam and stuck it in the kit. The rear being 720p does not bother me, is not like I am shooting a movie...

What do you mean by security film? I am all ears :)

·
Registered
478 Posts

Main purpose for me is to have an eye witness in case of an accident. I do not live in a bad area and I don't know if the insurance would even care about the dash cam being there.

Why not a GoPro? I thought about it, but then read and compared. The go pro is kind of clunky compared to my blackvue. You wouldn't know is there, unless you are looking for it. I have a good story about a visit to my dealer's service department that ended up in me getting a free max care warranty for my truck, but that's not the main purpose, that was just an added bonus.

A go pro would be (in my opinion) more visible, hence more inviting to a thief. A a dedicated (good) dash cam has many features the go pro lacks, and, I just don't need a toy, I needed security, I am on the road a lot. I bought the truck last July and I already have 23K miles on it.

My set up can record up to 18hrs of video in either 2 or 3 minute increments, it has motion detection and a continuous loop recording. It also has G force sensor that can be calibrated to your prefference, so when it detects a possible accident, it protects that particular portion from being erased or recorded over.
It has parking mode and my kit came with a power manic pro, which allows the camera to record 24/7 while it monitors the batteries, so in case the voltage drops below normal, it disconnects the camera so it down not drain the batteries.
It is there, it is out of the way, it's not clunky and it works very well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use the Mobius Action Camera. It is easy to use and I purchased the camera with a large selection of accessories and a memory card for less than $130. I hard wired the camera in later which required a special harness as the camera runs of 5 volts. I added the harness, removed the battery and added the suggested capacitor in its place.

Here is a fun video I captured. I made a mistake uploading it in 240 but the camera is capable of 1080P.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I use the Mobius Action Camera. It is easy to use and I purchased the camera with a large selection of accessories and a memory card for less than $130. I hard wired the camera in later which required a special harness as the camera runs of 5 volts. I added the harness, removed the battery and added the suggested capacitor in its place.

Here is a fun video I captured. I made a mistake uploading it in 240 but the camera is capable of 1080P.

Lol! That's awesome! If I only I could do that intentionally!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts