Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently another WF member had posted about this issue and I had an issue about a year ago where an 18 wheeler had backed into me (3 times) my eye witness bocked and it took me a year to recover my damages after it turned into an arbitration hearing over he said/ he said.
Thankfully "he" was exposed as the POS liar that he was and all is well that ends well.
Fast forward to today...

Just bought/received/installed a Roav by Anker and so far I am very impressed.
Install was a breeze, small, well made and intuitive.
Had to run over to Staples to but an SD card but that's ok because you get to choose from different sizes etc. (I got a 32mb class10) blahblah.

The unit turns on automatically. Records in a loop. No maintenance per say, WiFi enabled, audio and video, parking sensor, HiRes and supposedly great field of view as well as night capture so..... we shall see.
Wish I had it last year. Hope I never need it BUT like the saying goes "Better to have it and not need it than to need hot butter for your corn and only have something else or something...."

For those interested, I will post my thoughts and experience as time advances, for those not interested (fart sound)....:)

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-Recorder-Wide-Angle-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B06XNSDRW8

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
That's a nice small unit.. I've been looking for one like that. Because of the shape and rake of the Wrangler windshield, the 'average' sized dash cam is way too visible when viewed from outside. I prefer something that's more stealthy.

Do you have a photo of it mounted on your windshield?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yup, just recently installed a Garmin 45 myself. Money easily spent for peace of mind. I've had way to many "close calls" that would have turned into hellish he said/she said insurance battles, so i decided it was high time to get one. They are so small and cheap anymore that it's a really a no brainer.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Could you post up some videos and or pictures of what the dash cam takes?
Also, I'm curious of how it looks mounted in your Jeep.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I know exactly how you feel! After my Jeep accident last October and all the BS I went through with the other driver denying responsibility I put a dash cam in both our vehicles. We bought the Blackvue and are very happy. We even download the videos when we're on the trails in the Jeep to document the fun times. And with off the shelf video editing software I can do all kinds of fun stuff to our trail videos...

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/blackvue-dr650s-1ch-1-channel-dash-camera-wifi.html

John

·
Registered
728 Posts
Looking to buy one soon too. Read a review that the ROAV had some trouble in the heat. Blackvue makes some nice small cams. I'm also considering something from Thinkware. They've got a new model that supppsed to be available this month.

I'd like to see what others are using. The vertical windshield of our Jeeps doesn't always work well with mounting things.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Fully understand the CYA philosophy ...
I've had mine in place for almost 2 years now working flawlessly, automatic, painless & virtually out of the way.

Here's my setup next to my V1.
It's positively mounted via velcro to the plastic header for ease of removal, if needed.
Drilled hole in the header w/grommet for the power cord, then hard wired to inline fuse.

Here's the unit I ended up selecting >>> Rexing DashCam
I have a 128g microSD inserted for lots of video storage :)

·
Premium Member
16,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking to buy one soon too. Read a review that the ROAV had some trouble in the heat. Blackvue makes some nice small cams. I'm also considering something from Thinkware. They've got a new model that supppsed to be available this month.

I'd like to see what others are using. The vertical windshield of our Jeeps doesn't always work well with mounting things.
Update took care of that.

·
Registered
715 Posts
This is what mine looks like in the Jeep. Very hard to see from outside unless you know it's there. It's to the left of the rear view mirror...

camera2.jpg

Inside view...

camera1.jpg

And here's a link to a short video...

https://youtu.be/p5qHQbWJxGI

John

·
Registered
925 Posts
Purchasing criteria for me is SIMULTANIOUS DUAL operation modes of 1) continuous recording and 2) event based motion sensor triggered recording.

Why both simultaniously?

Because if you leave it on continuous recording it will end up in a long loop. Should you be involved in an accident, where you are hurt and can't stop it, it will record all the way to the impound lot and eventually start a new loop and erase anything prior.

Motion triggered mode only? Not good, because loop length is limited and you might needing information that lead to an event that goes far beyond the scope of short the motion trigger loop.

So those are my specs and i still have not found anything close.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I've been thinking about getting one. I want something simple that I can turn on when I get in the Jeep and off when I get out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have the Viofo A119 purchased from Amazon.

(This is not MY camera, but the same one)

It is fairly small in packaging (approx 3" tall by 2" wide). It will accept up to a 128gb SD card (as long as you do not buy a counterfeit one on craigslist).

The only thing I do not like about it is the maximum video length. It will cut a video into (at most) 10 minute segments. I guess it amkes it handy if you are looking for a specific segment of video, But it sucks when you are trying to upload something to Youtube, for example. You have to piece it together before you can do anything with it.

As for quality, Here is the first offroad outing I took with my Jeep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhKakm2m_E&t=1501s

Most of the video has been sped up, But if you fast forward to 5:15 you will be able to see the quality at regular speed. This is also before I added the polarizing filter. The video quality has improved with the filter added.

I could also mention, For $10 I picked up the hardwire kit and tapped into the power outlet (cigarette lighter) so the camera automatically turns on when the ignition turns on and turns off approx 10 seconds after turning off the ignition.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Purchasing criteria for me is SIMULTANIOUS DUAL operation modes of 1) continuous recording and 2) event based motion sensor triggered recording.

Why both simultaniously?

Because if you leave it on continuous recording it will end up in a long loop. Should you be involved in an accident, where you are hurt and can't stop it, it will record all the way to the impound lot and eventually start a new loop and erase anything prior.

Motion triggered mode only? Not good, because loop length is limited and you might needing information that lead to an event that goes far beyond the scope of short the motion trigger loop.

So those are my specs and i still have not found anything close.
Check out the one I have (Viofo A119)

If you are ever in an accident, you can press a button and it will lock that file so it can not be recorded over.

And it has a motion sensor system that will turn on if it detects motion.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the Viofo A119 purchased from Amazon.

(This is not MY camera, but the same one)

It is fairly small in packaging (approx 3" tall by 2" wide). It will accept up to a 128gb SD card (as long as you do not buy a counterfeit one on craigslist).

The only thing I do not like about it is the maximum video length. It will cut a video into (at most) 10 minute segments. I guess it amkes it handy if you are looking for a specific segment of video, But it sucks when you are trying to upload something to Youtube, for example. You have to piece it together before you can do anything with it.

As for quality, Here is the first offroad outing I took with my Jeep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhKakm2m_E&t=1501s

Most of the video has been sped up, But if you fast forward to 5:15 you will be able to see the quality at regular speed. This is also before I added the polarizing filter. The video quality has improved with the filter added.

I could also mention, For $10 I picked up the hardwire kit and tapped into the power outlet (cigarette lighter) so the camera automatically turns on when the ignition turns on and turns off approx 10 seconds after turning off the ignition.
I have been doing research and I think this is the one I am going to purchase - it gets great reviews

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Check out the one I have (Viofo A119)

If you are ever in an accident, you can press a button and it will lock that file so it can not be recorded over.

And it has a motion sensor system that will turn on if it detects motion.
Thanks much for the tip!

I checked their website, but so far I don't see it mentioned that it can save a motion triggered event while it is in endless recording mode. Would you be able to check and confirm that. Thanks in advance.

Otherwise I even like the design and it seems like it has great reviews even from night time recording.

So I'm hopeful you can tell me what I'm looking to hear.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
I run this in my DD and my Tow Rig. Records in a loop, on impact or collision it Locks that file so it can't be recorded over. My only complaint is it seems a little over sensitive to bumps sometimes. But over all it works great.

I bought it primarily because I'm tired on people cutting me off when towing or cutting my braking distance by a third because they think they can get ahead an extra car length or two. I want proof that I wasn't at fault if something happens!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/uniden-dc4-dash-camera-black/5371800.p?skuId=5371800

·
Registered
433 Posts
I checked their website, but so far I don't see it mentioned that it can save a motion triggered event while it is in endless recording mode. Would you be able to check and confirm that. Thanks in advance.
I may be misunderstanding what you mean.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "motion triggered while in endless recording mode"?

Endless recording mode is standard operational mode, right? Power on, recording to SD card?

But when you say "motion triggered event" that makes me think power off, but automatically turns on when it detects movement (like the Ring doorbell).

I'm confused because I can't imagine a scenario where both criteria could be true.

So when the unit is on, it is in endless loop mode. It will fill the SD card then record over the oldest non-protected file. You can protect any file you want by pressing the middle "exclamation point inside a triangle" button.

In the settings, you can set it up where it will turn on when ever it detects movement (someone passing in front of the camera) and it will automatically record to the SD card. Once no movement is detected for 60 seconds, it will go back into stand by mode.

It also has a shock sensor and here is what it says about that.

G-Sensor
The camera has a built-in shock detector called the G-sensor. In the case of a collision, the camera locks the video recorded at the time and displays a lock icon on the screen. G-sensor sensitivity can be adjusted. The settings from “low to high” determine the amount of force needed to lock the le from being overwritten. We recommend that you set it to low. Alternatively, you can turn off the feature entirely.

I hope this clears it up.

1 - 20 of 378 Posts