Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Jeep Sport TJ

My son's Jeep sometimes displays the word FUSE on the odometer. The dash's lights do not come on when the headlights are on. I have replaced all the fuses that I thought it could be but the problem still exists. Help please...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Do all the other lights come on other than the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I tried the dimmer first.
I've replaced fuse #3 behind the glove box and #26 under the hood. Still no luck.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Do you have lights in your radio, or heater controls, or the PRNDL lamp (if automatic)? If not, use a test light and see if you have power to one of the fuse #3 terminals. If so, pull the instrument cluster and check the orange wire in the cluster connector for power (with the lights on and the dimmer turned up).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No bus?

I'll try that Dennis when my son gets home with it. All other lights work (AC / radio). The words "no bus" are sometimes displayed in the odometer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still need help...

All the lights are out (a/c, dash, radio). The clock in the radio still works but all others are out. Plus the low gas warning light stays on even though it has a full tank. Check engine light also. "No bus" is displayed in the odometer.

I just had the radiator and heater core replaced and none of this was happening until after that...

Any ideas?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
All the lights are out (a/c, dash, radio). The clock in the radio still works but all others are out. Plus the low gas warning light stays on even though it has a full tank. Check engine light also. "No bus" is displayed in the odometer.

I just had the radiator and heater core replaced and none of this was happening until after that...

Any ideas?
I would take it back to whoever did the heater core replacement. FYI...radio clock and presets are fed from a different circuit. Have you checked for power at fuse #3 terminals?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I think 2001 uses the multifunction switch for the lights not the pull switch in the dash. If so fuse 3 is not in that circuit. The cluster controls the illumination for the cluster & output to the other places like the switches & HVAC panel. One post says everything works except the cluster (post 7) but later says none of the illumination works (post 8). If none are working here are links to possible problem. The 2nd is mostly a duplicate of the 1st but some added info. Both have good troubleshooting info.

03 Rubicon with no dash lights! - JeepForum.com

How to fix the no dash lights issue! - JeepForum.com

I’m not sure if that has anything to do with the “no bus”, low fuel light issues but it may. Or there may all be a bad connection at one of the connectors that plug into the cluster since work was done in the dash/cluster area when replacing the heater core. So check the connectors & be sure they are fully seated & no terminals are pushed back in the connectors causing loss contact with their cluster terminals.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts

I know, I have seen that but think it looks like a 2000 with some updates. I also have one that is only about 10 chapters which I think only has the 2001 updates from 2000. Not sure. That is why I asked if it has the (later) light switch in the m-f switch or the pull out one in the dash. That would make sure we have the correct circuit. The later one is more complicated & harder to diagnose.

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts

I know, I have seen that but think it looks like a 2000 with some updates. I also have one that is only about 10 chapters which I think only has the 2001 updates from 2000. Not sure. That is why I asked if it has the (later) light switch in the m-f switch or the pull out one in the dash. That would make sure we have the correct circuit. The later one is more complicated & harder to diagnose.
Aha...:)

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
When looking at mid model year changes I have found the parts lists more informative an example being the mid 1997 PCM change

I managed to get full FSM for all but 2 years

Of those missing two I got most of 1997 PDFs by section saved from the Morris 4x4 site but it is missing
Brakes
Cooling
Clutch
Body
And
Wheels and tires sections

That Morris site is nice but kinda funky

It's has a ZJ wiring section that has TJ clearly printed on each page and a XJ wiring section that cannot load the final 80 pages

If does however have all the XJ and TJ factory parts lists and they are all labeled correctly

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
As I understand it all 2001 TJ are PCI single wire bus and all 2000 are twisted pair CCD bus so a quick look at PCM or cluster pin out should tell you if the diagram is for 2000 or 2001

Typically the jump to PCI bus is also accompanied with a change to more oval radio front with a single multi row harness connector (not counting the separate cd changer connector) vs the earlier square cornered radio with two single row connectors but not sure that is a reliable way to be sure on TJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I pulled the electric board from behind the dash and it did not appear to have any burns like in the link you provided... I checked every fuse...and I mean every fuse under the hood and behind the glove compartment. I'm at a loss. All lights are out in the dash, the speedometer, fuel gauge, etc are all out. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I pulled the electric board from behind the dash and it did not appear to have any burns like in the link you provided... I checked every fuse...and I mean every fuse under the hood and behind the glove compartment. I'm at a loss. All lights are out in the dash, the speedometer, fuel gauge, etc are all out. Any other suggestions?
You chk BOTH sides of that fuse?

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
I got the 2001 alltell wiring diagrams

Based on that the dash light dinner varies the ground resistance via a red wire that enters the cluster at pin 15 in connector C2

While the orange wire at pin 6 of same cluster connector gets plus 12

The multifunction switch is connected to fuses 10 and 19 in PDC

The circuit also attaches to fuse 1 in the inside fuse box right side behind dash

These alltell diagrams are a little unique

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Replaced the instrument cluster and still have the "no bus" message. I also noticed that both brake lights are out but the spare tire brake light works. Both rear turn signals and parking lights work just not the brake lights. Still trying to figure this out....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts